  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
Share
May 6, 2004 7:44:57 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

GameCube 2 Backwards Compatible?
Famitsu report claims that GameCube games may very well be playable on
Nintendo's next-generation home console
By James Fudge | Wed May 05 00:00:00 PDT 2004

According to an article in the latest issue of the Japanese print gaming
magazine, Famitsu, Nintendo's top executive Satoru Iwata has hinted that the
next iteration of its home console (currently being called GameCube 2) will
be backwards compatible, allowing GameCube game owners to play their library
of games on the new system. Details on how they'll facilitate backwards
compatibility is unknown (hardware add-on? similar media format) and this
admission by Nintendo's top guy isn't exactly 100 percent confirmed, so stay
tuned for more information as we have it.

http://cube.gamespy.com/articles/511/511656p1.html

More about : gamecube backwards compatible

Anonymous
May 6, 2004 10:19:26 PM

"fanATIc" <atifanatic@aol.com> wrote in message
> GameCube 2 Backwards Compatible?
> Famitsu report claims that GameCube games may very well be playable on
> Nintendo's next-generation home console
> By James Fudge | Wed May 05 00:00:00 PDT 2004
>
> According to an article in the latest issue of the Japanese print gaming
> magazine, Famitsu, Nintendo's top executive Satoru Iwata has hinted that
the
> next iteration of its home console (currently being called GameCube 2)
will
> be backwards compatible, allowing GameCube game owners to play their
library
> of games on the new system. Details on how they'll facilitate backwards
> compatibility is unknown (hardware add-on? similar media format) and this
> admission by Nintendo's top guy isn't exactly 100 percent confirmed, so
stay
> tuned for more information as we have it.
>
> http://cube.gamespy.com/articles/511/511656p1.html

That could be based on the same comments made by Iwata months ago.
Anonymous
May 7, 2004 10:27:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

"fanATIc" <atifanatic@aol.com> wrote in message
> GameCube 2 Backwards Compatible?
> Famitsu report claims that GameCube games may very well be playable on
> Nintendo's next-generation home console
> By James Fudge | Wed May 05 00:00:00 PDT 2004
>

> According to an article in the latest issue of the Japanese print gaming
> magazine, Famitsu, Nintendo's top executive Satoru Iwata has hinted that the
> next iteration of its home console (currently being called GameCube 2) will
> be backwards compatible, allowing GameCube game owners to play their library
> of games on the new system. Details on how they'll facilitate backwards
> compatibility is unknown (hardware add-on? similar media format) and this
> admission by Nintendo's top guy isn't exactly 100 percent confirmed, so stay
> tuned for more information as we have it.
>

> http://cube.gamespy.com/articles/511/511656p1.html

The smart money's on backwards compatibility. They're finally on a disc-based
format, so it's not like there's anything holding them back.
Anonymous
May 10, 2004 1:48:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

On Fri, 07 May 2004 06:27:31 GMT, "Shadow"
<mypantsare@thedrycleaners.com> wrote:

>"fanATIc" <atifanatic@aol.com> wrote in message
>> GameCube 2 Backwards Compatible?
>> Famitsu report claims that GameCube games may very well be playable on
>> Nintendo's next-generation home console
>> By James Fudge | Wed May 05 00:00:00 PDT 2004
>>

>> According to an article in the latest issue of the Japanese print gaming
>> magazine, Famitsu, Nintendo's top executive Satoru Iwata has hinted that the
>> next iteration of its home console (currently being called GameCube 2) will
>> be backwards compatible, allowing GameCube game owners to play their library
>> of games on the new system. Details on how they'll facilitate backwards
>> compatibility is unknown (hardware add-on? similar media format) and this
>> admission by Nintendo's top guy isn't exactly 100 percent confirmed, so stay
>> tuned for more information as we have it.
>>

>> http://cube.gamespy.com/articles/511/511656p1.html
>>

>The smart money's on backwards compatibility. They're finally on a disc-based
>format, so it's not like there's anything holding them back.

It's amazing how many people don't realize the cost of making a system
support an entire different type of media, much less 3.

I'm sure Nintendo could both afford the cost, and do it, but the
consumer would not be able to. It's safe to assume that the next one
will use some sort of flat, circular, plastic disk, so backwards
compatibility will be much easier.
!