Status
Not open for further replies.

jbm715

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
So I just finished building my new computer. I am running an i5 and using a hyper 212 plus cooler. In the BIOS the temps says the CPU is at 48 C. Is that too hot? That is when the CPU is at idle. THE MB is idling at 26 C.

Here is my complete build .

Should I reapply thermal paste? I am using the paste that came with the hyper 212 plus.

Solution
No 48c is fine. The loaded temp can rise to about 65c. I've never seen more than a 5c difference between premium paste and generic. I just wouldn't mess with it too much. You can spend a small fortune on premium heatsinks, but the cpu warranty is still the same.

Cygnus x-1

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
I'm assuming those temperatures are at stock not overclocked correct? If so I would say you should be more in the 30's to low 40c range for idle even in a warm room. I have the same cooler in a 79F room I idle at 42 on the hottest core as I write this. And that is with a bclk of 160 for 3.2 ghz with HT and turbo enabled on an i7 920. I'm guessing the extra temperature is because of a not so great mount/TIM application. What are you showing on your desktop for temps with 100% load?

jbm715

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
Yea I'm no where near ready to cross the OC bridge haha. I don't have windows installed yet so I can't test the load with CPU Test or any of those other apps yet. I'm in the process of burning windows onto a dvd on my laptop.

I've been thinking back to when I installed the cooler...I believe I put the paste on the cooler, put the cooler on the cpu, wiggled it around, lifted it back up, and then put it back down again. I want to say that I should not have lifted the cooler back up?

Cygnus x-1

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
Solution

Cygnus x-1

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
i put a little on the base and used a credit card after I cleaned it with alcohol, to force some TIM in between the gaps. Then I basically scraped the excess off with the card. I used the method in the link to apply two lines but spaced it a little different because the two heatsinks aren't the same.

jbm715

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
I reapplied the thermal paste and put the cooler back on. I also added another fan to the cooler for a push pull setup. It dropped the cpu by 4 degrees which I guess is ok.

I have one fan plugged into the cpu_fan header and the other just plugged into the psu.

Status
Not open for further replies.