Problems with Upgrage

shariq1989

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
I currently have an MSI 4670 512mb graphics card running two screens at 1080p, one through a DVI-VGA cable and one through a DVI-HDMI cable. The setup has been working amazingly for over a year now. In order to upgrade my card, I purchased an Asus 4870 1GB card. I have a 600W Thermaltake PSU which should handle the card's needs. The problem is that I hooked up the cables the same way I had them with the 4670 and the highest resolution the card would allow me to use for the DVI-VGA fed monitor was 1600x1200. I was wondering why that is and if there was a way around it. I tried using the monitor's HDMI port but ran into some other problems (flickering, image coloring messed up/contrasty in a way which gave me a headache, etc), so I'd rather not use it.

Thank you for your time!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You likely connected the DVI-VGA adapter to a DVI-D port. DVI-D ports cannot be used with VGA adapters. Check your manual to see if one of your DVI ports is a DVI-I type port.

Regarding the HDMI port, sounds like you may have had a refresh rate issue that you can resolve in Catalyst. Set to 60hz or higher (if supported) and the flickering nonsense should go away.

Good luck!