sxypants11

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
So im having some trouble while playing rift where my fps even on the lowest setting goes from 60 then spikes to 5 or 10 for a couple seconds.. after looking at similar problems from other people i think it might be because of overheating but im not sure what really is normal for temps

temps1.jpg

temps2.jpg

running 2 9500 nforce gt

any help would be greatly appreciated

Jay_83

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
What's your room temp? How long has the game been running before this shot? What's your mobo?

1. 79C on any CPU core is too high outside of stress-testing. Should never be that high just playing a game. This temp should NOT throttle the CPU, but could go even higher when you go full-screen and play for a while, therefore forcing your CPU to throttle (slow itself down for a moment for temps to fall). Therefore, even IF this is not the reason for slowdowns (it can be), you should start by properly cleaning the case and the fans, making sure you get the best possible airflow through the heatsink.

2. If your CPU is overclocked, return it to stock values and check temps and Rift performance.

3. The fans on the 2nd screenshot are running SLOW. Either you have installed ultra-quiet fans, or you should jack them up. Even fans specifically designed to run this slow do not push much air. I'm assuming these are around 120-140mm, because I doubt you have 3x200mm fans, which could run that low.

4. Throw your exact mobo model to google and check if people had problems with the nvidia chipset temp readouts. 200+ C is NOT POSSIBLE. An obvious error in temp reporting, but it could cause issues just because of that. Additionally, many nvidia (and other) MCPs are known to run very hot, so it would be good to know what the real temps are.

5. GPU temps are OK, maybe even a bit low for working GPUs. It's possible they aren't getting much work done because the throttled CPU isn't keeping up.

6. Every program, games included, is (un)optimized differently for multi-threading. If Rift uses only two cores, there's nothing you can do about it.

7. How old is your OS? How well have you cared for it? If you have enough crap running in the background, it can spike CPU usage from time to time, influencing your game performance.

j2j663

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
+1^

Well I can't say much more than Jay already did. However answers will come more easily if you can give us your full computer specs as many things can lead to overheating, if that truly is the problem at hand.

I will second Jay on the part about cleaning your heatsink and just generally your PC to allow for the best airflow possible.

I will also say that 200+C cannot happen as you would have had things melt in your PC. I would suggest using Open Hardware Monitor instead of CPUID simply because it is more customizable. I will say that since both programs have a very similar layout and specs I can only imagine that they are based off of the same general code and so Open Hardware Monitor my give you the same incorrect reading but it is worth a shot.

sxypants11

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
my room temps always 69-74 degrees all the time.
I had the games open for about 20 mins before that shot
MSI motherboard
i have no idea about the fans there pushed at 100%
i have no idea about my mainboard heat lol its deff not 400 degrees but pc wizard is telling me 207 celcius also... my model is msi p6n sli (MS-7350)...

My OS is windows xp home edition...lol
and ive recently reinstalled os so theres not many background programs going on