3 to 5MP, 7 to 12x zoom digital cameras - any recommendati..

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
February 21, 2005 12:16:59 PM

There are now a multitude of these large zoom cameras on the market,
including Canon S1 IS, Nikon 5700, Panasonic FZ20, Konica Minolta Z5 etc
etc.

Any recommendations or one's to avoid ?

Cheers
February 21, 2005 12:23:31 PM

In article <cvc8uh$2m9$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk>, no@nospam.com says...
> There are now a multitude of these large zoom cameras on the market,
> including Canon S1 IS, Nikon 5700, Panasonic FZ20, Konica Minolta Z5 etc
> etc.
>
> Any recommendations or one's to avoid ?
>
> Cheers

Avoid the new SONY unless you already own some Memory stick pro.

Damn shame they didn't make it with a cf-slot.

If people "stay away in hoards" perhaps Sony will get a clue (not likely but
possible)

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

"dylan" <no@nospam.com> wrote in message
> There are now a multitude of these large zoom cameras on the market,
> including Canon S1 IS, Nikon 5700, Panasonic FZ20, Konica Minolta Z5 etc
> etc.
>
> Any recommendations or one's to avoid ?
>
> Cheers

Panasonic FZ20 has fast lens, tremendous anti-shake zoom and 97% approval
rating by owners.
February 21, 2005 7:59:40 PM

dylan wrote:
> There are now a multitude of these large zoom cameras on the market,
> including Canon S1 IS, Nikon 5700, Panasonic FZ20, Konica Minolta Z5
> etc etc.
>
> Any recommendations or one's to avoid ?

After buying and returning a Minolta A2 last year, it's now a brand I
would avoid.

If you want long zoom, image stabilisation is very helpful, so the
Nikon5700 is out.

The Canon S1 IS is 3MP and takes CF cards and AA batteries.
The Panasonic is 5MP, takes SD cards, and lithium-ion batteries.

We bought a Panasonic FZ20 and have been very pleased with it.

Cheers,
David
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 7:59:41 PM

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 16:59:40 GMT, "David J Taylor"
<david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote:
>We bought a Panasonic FZ20 and have been very pleased with it.

Same here, the Panasonic FZ20 is working well for me also.
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 8:36:16 PM

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 09:16:59 -0000, "dylan" <no@nospam.com> wrote:

>There are now a multitude of these large zoom cameras on the market,
>including Canon S1 IS, Nikon 5700, Panasonic FZ20, Konica Minolta Z5 etc
>etc.
>
>Any recommendations or one's to avoid ?

I've got a Minolta Z10 which I'm happy with, though if I was starting
again I'd probably splash out the extra for the Z3. Is the Z5 actually
available yet?

--
Stephen Poley
Anonymous

David J Taylor <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote:
> If you want long zoom, image stabilisation is very helpful, so the
> Nikon5700 is out.
>
> The Canon S1 IS is 3MP and takes CF cards and AA batteries.
> The Panasonic is 5MP, takes SD cards, and lithium-ion batteries.
>
> We bought a Panasonic FZ20 and have been very pleased with it.

Ditto - almost; I own an FZ10 (bought before the 20 came out; I would've
bought a 20 had it been available) and am very happy with it.

pete
--
pete@fenelon.com "Send lawyers, guns and money...."
Anonymous

In article <bm7dvc.ed3.ln@fenelon.com>, Pete Fenelon <pete@fenelon.com>
wrote:

> David J Taylor <david-taylor@blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk>
> wrote:
> > If you want long zoom, image stabilisation is very helpful, so the
> > Nikon5700 is out.
> >
> > The Canon S1 IS is 3MP and takes CF cards and AA batteries.
> > The Panasonic is 5MP, takes SD cards, and lithium-ion batteries.
> >
> > We bought a Panasonic FZ20 and have been very pleased with it.
> >

> Ditto - almost; I own an FZ10 (bought before the 20 came out; I would've
> bought a 20 had it been available) and am very happy with it.
>
> pete

I like my FZ20! The proprietary battery life is good, but you might
want to buy a spare if you shoot outside a lot.

Come to think, a 12V car adaptor charger would be handy, but Panasonic
don't seem to sell one.
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 9:01:49 PM

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 12:38:21 -0600, richard schumacher <no-spam@invalid.com>
wrote:
>Come to think, a 12V car adaptor charger would be handy, but Panasonic
>don't seem to sell one.

Panasonic doesn't but I bought an AC/DC charger from here:
http://www.digital-camera-battery.net/panasonic-camera-...

Typical Chinese quality but it works and does what it's supposed to do.
February 21, 2005 9:01:50 PM

In article <t7dk1196uf3iq3ni6qbliprhihq9nbj6cv@4ax.com>, k7kkg@yahoo.com
says...
> On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 12:38:21 -0600, richard schumacher <no-spam@invalid.com>
> wrote:
> >Come to think, a 12V car adaptor charger would be handy, but Panasonic
> >don't seem to sell one.
>
> Panasonic doesn't but I bought an AC/DC charger from here:
> http://www.digital-camera-battery.net/panasonic-camera-...
>
> Typical Chinese quality but it works and does what it's supposed to do.

I did away with the problem of various 12 volt adaptors by putting a 500 watt
inverter in my truck.

Considering how low the draw is through the various charging devices I
thought it would be better to just attach a plug strip to the inverter and
plug all the chargers into it.

So far it has worked out just fine.

The inverter was bought "on sale" at Sears for $39.99 and will probably last
longer than the truck.

Its a solution I have recommended to several people, and its working for them
too.
--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 14:47:28 -0500, Larry <larrylynch3rd@comcast.net> wrote:

>I did away with the problem of various 12 volt adaptors by putting a 500 watt
>inverter in my truck.

I've got a 600W inverter in my truck but I can't always be sure I'll be with my
truck on trips, might be with other people or on the motorcycle, that's why
I went with the AC/DC kit.
February 21, 2005 9:01:52 PM

In article <81gk11h3olalgdmr1ke0cf26km1ijmdo5f@4ax.com>, k7kkg@yahoo.com
says...
> On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 14:47:28 -0500, Larry <larrylynch3rd@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> >I did away with the problem of various 12 volt adaptors by putting a 500 watt
> >inverter in my truck.
>
> I've got a 600W inverter in my truck but I can't always be sure I'll be with my
> truck on trips, might be with other people or on the motorcycle, that's why
> I went with the AC/DC kit.

Good point! Its NOT a fix for everyone.

I dont "bike" anymore (gettin' too old), and where I use my camera I usually
have acsess to either my truck or line current. (or a few spare batteries)

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

"Stephen Poley" <sbpoleySpicedHamTrap@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
> On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 09:16:59 -0000, "dylan" <no@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>>There are now a multitude of these large zoom cameras on the market,
>>including Canon S1 IS, Nikon 5700, Panasonic FZ20, Konica Minolta Z5 etc
>>etc.
>>
>>Any recommendations or one's to avoid ?
>
> I've got a Minolta Z10 which I'm happy with, though if I was starting
> again I'd probably splash out the extra for the Z3. Is the Z5 actually
> available yet?
>
> --
> Stephen Poley

The Z5 is in the shops in the UK.

Cheers
February 25, 2005 7:51:17 PM

wrote in message news:0soSd.20014$8B3.13243@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> dylan wrote:
>> There are now a multitude of these large zoom cameras on the market,
>> including Canon S1 IS, Nikon 5700, Panasonic FZ20, Konica Minolta Z5
>> etc etc.
>>
>> Any recommendations or one's to avoid ?
>
> After buying and returning a Minolta A2 last year, it's now a brand I
> would avoid.
>
> If you want long zoom, image stabilisation is very helpful, so the
> Nikon5700 is out.
>
> The Canon S1 IS is 3MP and takes CF cards and AA batteries.
> The Panasonic is 5MP, takes SD cards, and lithium-ion batteries.
>
> We bought a Panasonic FZ20 and have been very pleased with it.
>
> Cheers,
> David

Thanks David,

I took a look at Steve's digicam review and notice some CA on some shots, ie
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/fz20/sample...
How do you find the results ?

Cheers
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 8:15:48 PM

dylan wrote:
[]
> Thanks David,
>
> I took a look at Steve's digicam review and notice some CA on some
> shots, ie
> http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/fz20/sample...
> How do you find the results ?
>
> Cheers

It's not an issue when viewing on the screen or viewing prints at normal
viewing distances. Look closely enough at any image and you may see
imperfections. If the CA/PF is bothersome in a particular image, we would
use the chromatic aberration reduction tool in Paint Shop Pro.

Why not pop down to your local camera store and try the camera for
yourself?

Cheers,
David
February 25, 2005 10:09:00 PM

> It's not an issue when viewing on the screen or viewing prints at normal
> viewing distances. Look closely enough at any image and you may see
> imperfections. If the CA/PF is bothersome in a particular image, we would
> use the chromatic aberration reduction tool in Paint Shop Pro.
>
> Why not pop down to your local camera store and try the camera for
> yourself?
>
> Cheers,
> David

Thanks.

I'll try them in the store when I have narrowed down the choices, in the
mean time it's good to get user feedback.
!