I5 2500K build - asking for review and upgrade recommendations

CurtisC

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
Thoughts on this recent $1000 build - and where I'll need to upgrade. I just placed the order form NCIX to call me about any incompatibility issues:

INTEL I5 2500K
MSI P67A GD65
ASUS RADEON HD 6870 913MHZ
COOLERMASTER HYPER 212 PLUS
ANTEC HIGH CURRENT GAMER 750W
CORSAIR VENGENCE 2X4GB DDR3-1866
SEAGATE BARRACUDA 7200.12 500GB 3.5 SATA 6GB/S
OCZ VERTEX 60GB 2.5IN SATA2 SSD
AZZA HELIOS 910
ASUS VE247H 23.6 LED/LCD
WINDOW 7 HOME PREMIUM 64BIT

Looks like the DVD player fell off the order. I'll have to call NCIX - any thoughts?

Thanks

On the Intel® Core™ I5 2500K you don’t need to overclock the memory in order to overclock the processor so you can get away with 1333 or 1600 if the price is close. Just pay attention to the cast latency or CL. With cast latency the lower the number the better and on DDR3 it will be a 7, 8, or 9.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

galahad1313

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
i have somthing similar as far as processor. based on articles i've read i have an idea of some of the components i want, but not all of the best(better)models on some like ram, mobo(for compatibility), HD etc. here's what i do know i want based on these articles(many from tom's hardware, many from here at ncix). this puter would be for gaming with the occasional site surfing/d-loading of mods or patches. i've tried to include all info i could that may be relevant. though my 2nd puter is quite powerful, my 1st puter i discovered can't be upgraded do to incompatibility with that system's mobo with current tech(which isn't even supported anymore despite only being 3 yrs old)....brand bashing...i will never buy mdg again. my 2nd was bought here and i love it)

mobo:?

ram :? at least 8gb(corsair ddr3 came highly recomended)

processor: many recomended i7-2600 quad core sandy bridge but most advise that's a waste and i could get along just fine and for far less with the I5-2500 quad core sandy bridge, 3.3GH(3.7ocd), lga socket 1155, L2 cache 4X256kb/L3 cache 6mb

physical memory:? no idea 1.0 TB's seems to be the standard(have a western digital 1.0 TB's on other puter

video: here too, many recomended ati's(which is my prefered choice of manufaturer as well) 2X radeon HD-6950's in x-fire as this set-up would rival the next best card(s) but for a lot less. (alternate was 2X HD 6870's in x-fire)

not picky on audio as the recomended choice is soundblaster titanium 7.1 but the price and the cost of a 7.1 speaker system might blow the budget out of the water. so a lesser 5.1 or 2.1(2.2) might be better.

+quality tower(other puter has antec 1200 tower which i like so may stick with that or similar), best power supply to power this monster(thought maybe a corsair 850W would be good enough), dvd read/write obviously to install the games/programs, water cooling i can go with what my other puter has i can't remember off-hand...might be corsair cooling system) and any other recomendations would be cool.

approx budget: $2200
if more detail needed ask and i'll research w/e info is required.