Sign in with
Your question
Closed

DDR3 2133 Memory worth it? - Thoughts on system build

Tags:
Last response: in Memory
April 12, 2012 1:43:22 AM

I've gotten the new build bug (happens every few years), so I've put together what I believe is a pretty decent system so far. It's not top of the line, but I'm pretty happy with my choices so far.

My question is, since my motherboard will run it, is DDR3 2133 memory actually worth the price premium? I'm looking at a 16GB (2x8) kit, most likely from G.Skill's Ripjaws X series. However, since my choice in motherboard will (supposedly) run the memory at "full speed", I was wondering if it is worth the almost 2x price difference to go with the more expensive RAM.

I believe I had read in a couple of places that above DDR3 1600, there wasn't really a performance increase. Or that could have been due to the processor that was paired with the motherboard. If there really isn't a performance increase then I'd rather save a little bit of money (almost enough to double the memory).

Thoughts, opinions, comments on my proposed build? Please see my comments on choices below.

Uses: medium gaming, mostly productivity apps, video transcoding, etc. Granted, this system may be a bit over-powered but I only buy a system every few years, so this will be good for a good long while. I am planning to overclock this rig in the future but right away it will stay stock.

---Current proposed system build----
Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 650D - case design + integrated SATA drive reader sold me
MBD: GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3P - I've been really happy with my current Gigabyte board (GA-965P-DS3 + Core 2 Duo E6600)
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K - sorry, the elitist in me can't justify a Core i5 when there's an i7 available :p 
Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
HDD: Crucial M4 2.5" 256GB SATA III SSD - My first SSD, so I'm going big here (data hosted on several other SATA 3Gb drives)
GPU: MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC - the 680 is just out of reach, not available, and really overkill for the amount of gaming I do.
MEM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 1600 or 2133
ODD: LG Black 12X BD-R
PSU: CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX850

Best solution

a b } Memory
April 12, 2012 1:46:18 AM

jayo909 said:
I've gotten the new build bug (happens every few years), so I've put together what I believe is a pretty decent system so far. It's not top of the line, but I'm pretty happy with my choices so far.

My question is, since my motherboard will run it, is DDR3 2133 memory actually worth the price premium? I'm looking at a 16GB (2x8) kit, most likely from G.Skill's Ripjaws X series. However, since my choice in motherboard will (supposedly) run the memory at "full speed", I was wondering if it is worth the almost 2x price difference to go with the more expensive RAM.

I believe I had read in a couple of places that above DDR3 1600, there wasn't really a performance increase. Or that could have been due to the processor that was paired with the motherboard. If there really isn't a performance increase then I'd rather save a little bit of money (almost enough to double the memory).

Thoughts, opinions, comments on my proposed build? Please see my comments on choices below.

Uses: medium gaming, mostly productivity apps, video transcoding, etc. Granted, this system may be a bit over-powered but I only buy a system every few years, so this will be good for a good long while. I am planning to overclock this rig in the future but right away it will stay stock.

---Current proposed system build----
Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 650D - case design + integrated SATA drive reader sold me
MBD: GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3P - I've been really happy with my current Gigabyte board (GA-965P-DS3 + Core 2 Duo E6600)
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K - sorry, the elitist in me can't justify a Core i5 when there's an i7 available :p 
Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
HDD: Crucial M4 2.5" 256GB SATA III SSD - My first SSD, so I'm going big here (data hosted on several other SATA 3Gb drives)
GPU: MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC - the 680 is just out of reach, not available, and really overkill for the amount of gaming I do.
MEM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 1600 or 2133
ODD: LG Black 12X BD-R
PSU: CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX850

1600mhz ram is perfect, TBH you won't be noticing the speed increase of 2133 unless you do extreme computer work stuff like that.
btw, will you wait for ivy bridge? april 29
a c 146 } Memory
April 12, 2012 6:19:54 AM

I would wait for the IB, as it may be cheaper and the latest, since u are buying new HW.
Score
Related resources
April 12, 2012 1:40:40 PM

nikorr said:
I would wait for the IB, as it may be cheaper and the latest, since u are buying new HW.

You're probably right since the release is only a few weeks away. that way Ivy-Bridge doesn't come out with some fancy new processor that blows the 2600K out of the water for the same price.

The only review I've seen so far is for the Z77 Express which states that it's only marginally better than the Z68 however they had to test with a Sandy Bridge cpu. If the processor uses the LGA115 socket on the motherboard, will the motherboard I have below still run an Ivy-Bridge cpu?

Perhaps I'll have to do some more reading until / after Ivy-Bridge comes out (or in the MBD forum).

Thanks for the help on the memory question though.
Score
April 19, 2012 1:06:45 AM

Best answer selected by jayo909.
Score
a c 146 } Memory
April 19, 2012 1:30:00 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!