Only first slot of ram working

superfly5203

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
Hello,

A while back I made a thread because my computer i put together from left over parts would turn on but the screen was blank. Well i found the problem and fixed it with your help, there is something wrong with the ram slots. I have for sure 2 good sticks of ram, out of 4, but only one will work at a time. If i plug both of the known good sticks in any configuration the screen will not get signal. I reset the jumpers and the bios is now dated back to 2003, can i update the bios with a CD or a flash drive? I don't really think that is the problem because it didn't work after i put it all back together in the first place, but it needs to be updated.

MOBO is one of the cheaper asus, and the ram are 4 cheap corsairs.

damasvara

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
Do the RAMs have identical specs (timing, speed, voltage, model number)? Dual channel (sold in pairs) would be better.

Use the 2 dual channel RAM in pair, then put in dual channel configuration in the slots (usually the same colored slot). If that's still won't work, try only 1 stick at a time in different slots. If only the first is usable, like you first said, then there's no helping it. You're limited to just one slot then :D