Upgrade time

digitalmicron

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2007
Hey Guys,

I haven't been here in a little while and I just had a quick question for the experts on this forum. I've been looking at upgrading my video card as the current one is on it's way out the door. Now my real question is will my CPU be a big throttle on my next card. I'm looking at buying a gtx 570 as it has great performance for around the price point that I'm looking at. Here is my current rig:

Gigabyte p45 mobo
E8400 OCed @ 3.6
4 GB of DDR2 800
HiS 4850x2
1TB of storage (No SSD yet)
Coolermaster CM690 case with 5 120 MM Fans
700 Watt PSU (Good PSU but forgot the manu.)

So guy what do you think? I'm know my system is getting pretty old but I don't have the funds right now to really get what I want so I'm going to wait for that. Ohhh btw I game @ 1920x1080. The only other thing that I can think to ask is what do you guys think the performance gain I'll get from a GTX 570? I'm pretty happy with what I have but like I said video card is on it's way out. It's been giving me distorded colors while gaming and I am not happy with it right now. Alright thanks guys in advance for you expertise.

Rob

digitalmicron

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2007
Thanks bro for the thoughts. I want to upgrade to a sandybridge setup when I can. I was just thinking about buy one now so that when I can upgrade my system, I can go straight for a SLI setup.

genghiskron

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
you would need to replace the psu to run SLI 570's. 700w wont cut it. It may just barely cut it, but thats now how you want to be running. But i see nothing wrong with having a single one for now. The fact that you have to replace the psu adds significant cost to the SLI 570's, however, and with that in mind, there may be more value conscious upgrade options.