Tom's Hardware vs. Tech Support Forum

PinkJazzX

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
I have asked similar questions both here at Tom's Hardware and at Tech Support Forums, and it seems like there are major differences between the responses here and there. It seems that Tom's Hardware tends to be more conservative with performance needs and requirements, while at Tech Support Forums, they tend to suggest higher specs that what I consider.

Here are two examples:
In a thread that I posted a while ago, I asked if my Thermaltake Litepower 450W Active PFC 80 Plus Bronze PSU would be enough to power my system. Here at Tom's Hardware, the response was that it would be adequate since it is a high-quality Active PFC unit. However, the response at Tech Support Forums said that it wouldn't be enough, suggesting I fork out money for a 600W PSU. Now with my new system complete, my Thermaltake PSU hasn't given me any problems whatsoever.

A more recent example is about the upgrades I plan on making for my grandpa this Christmas. While both sites agreed that I should avoid the Sempron processors, Tech Support Forums said I should buy a better PSU and buy either an ASUS or Gigabyte motherboard instead of Biostar. As I said my grandpa doesn't really need a system that is extremely powerful, just one that can run a stable Windows 7 installation.

Is there any particular reason why Tom's Hardware tends to be more conservative with specs?

Subidoo

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Instead of trying to get you to max and shell out more $$ when you don't need to, people on Toms will give you advice on Quality and Performence within your budget, and actually listen to your request.

Honestly, the answer is simple. Different people; different opinions.

In the PSU example, TSF may have suggested a higher wattage PSU, but the watts aren't always important. It is possible that the 600W PSU could hold more load than the Thermaltake you opted for. Of course, only by providing links to the threads you speak of and the two PSU models, will anyone reading or responding to this thread know.

In regards to the upgrade for grandpa example, people on these types of forums will always recommend products of familiarity. On top of that, there have been more builds made with ASUS and Gigabyte than there have been with Biostar. The reasons are arguable, but still, it's usually a matter of experience/preference, as I seriously doubt that anyone has ever built a system with every board to be able to make the conclusion that one brand is generally better than the other.

So, to answer your question, it's not so much that we're more conservative as much as it is that we have differing opinions.

PinkJazzX

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011

It seems that the consensus here is that a good quality PSU with a lower advertised wattage can often be better than a low quality PSU with a higher advertised wattage. As for reviews, most sites seem to give the Thermaltake Litepower 450W great reviews. Thermaltake tends to have both good and bad PSUs in their lineup.

Subidoo

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
I've heard both the same from Thermaltake, with some being Fail PSU's and some being lasting PSU's. If it has enough wattage to keep your Computer running safe and good, and the reviews give a nice rating i say go for it.

Rusting In Peace

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
I've never used the Tech Support forums but it seems like they have actual staff providing answers. My understanding is that apart from Administrators all other Tom's forum members are enthusiasts with varying levels of experience.

Any staff will be wary about giving out information that doesn't work out so may be extra cautious with answers. In comparison, people in Tom's are your peers so are perhaps likely to tell you exactly what you need based on their own experience.