Konica Minolta DiMAGE E40 vs Nikon Coolpix 4200

Tags:
Last response: in Digital Camera
February 22, 2005 12:24:21 AM

Hi all,

I thought I'd give this forum a go with my problem. My 2 year old has
dropped my Ricoh Caplio RR30 and did me a huge favour...I never did like the
quality of images from it.

So off to the shops I go with the following list:
- SD compatible
- Li-ion battery (included)
- At least 4mp
- Short shutter lag
- Serviceable flash (the Caplio was rubbish!)
- Metal body

The Cannon IXUS40 was on top of my list, but $599 (Australian dollars) is a
little out of my range.

The Konica DiMAGE E40 looked and felt good, and at $469 was affordable. Not
sure about image quality though, as the only review I can find is not
complimentary. Anyone have this camera?

The Nikon Coolpix 4200 is a bit bigger, but looks to have better reviews.

Any thoughts on both of these? Any other suggestions? I really don't want
to be left with another Caplio!!

Thanks,

Chaddy
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 12:24:22 AM

"Chaddy" <us@NOSPAMoptushome.com.au> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I thought I'd give this forum a go with my problem. My 2 year old has
> dropped my Ricoh Caplio RR30 and did me a huge favour...I never did like
the
> quality of images from it.
>
> So off to the shops I go with the following list:
> - SD compatible
> - Li-ion battery (included)
> - At least 4mp
> - Short shutter lag
> - Serviceable flash (the Caplio was rubbish!)
> - Metal body
>
> The Cannon IXUS40 was on top of my list, but $599 (Australian dollars) is
> little out of my range.
>
> The Konica DiMAGE E40 looked and felt good, and at $469 was affordable.
Not
> sure about image quality though, as the only review I can find is not
> complimentary. Anyone have this camera?
>
> The Nikon Coolpix 4200 is a bit bigger, but looks to have better reviews.
>
> Any thoughts on both of these? Any other suggestions? I really don't
want
> to be left with another Caplio!!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chaddy

Hi Chaddy,
I have a Minolta G400, G600 and Nikon 4200, well actually I bought the
latter for my wife last Christmas. All cameras give excellent pictures
however its the Nikon that is used most. It really is a delight to use. You
don't have to go into the menu select screens at all. The menu select wheel
is on the top of the camera. Just like the "real" thing.
Once in the menu you have a mass of options most of which you probably wont
use, but they're there if you need them. One of these functions is a "Golden
Mean" type display. Two parallel horizontal and vertical lines superimposed
on the screen to help keep verticals vertical and horizontals...you get the
idea. Also helps to take "pleasing" photographs if subject is placed on the
intersection of the lines.
The Nikon also handles awkward flash photography better. For instance at a
party we attended on December 26 the Nikons pictures of people dancing in
dim lighting with flashing strobes were perfect. Most of the Minoltas was
blurred. Probably my fault, but as I took both sets of photos I would say
the Nikon handled my deficiencies better.
For a better idea visit http://www.nikondigitutor.com/eng/e3200/01/00.html
not the same camera as the 4200 but everything applies.
BTW I'm not a Nikon devotee as I'll soon be buying a Canon 20D.
Would I buy all three cameras again? Yes. Which one would I recommend? The
Nikon. Purely for ease of use.
HTH.
Dave.
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 12:17:46 AM

"Dave E" <david.az@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> on the screen to help keep verticals vertical and horizontals...you get
the
> idea. Also helps to take "pleasing" photographs if subject is placed on
the
> intersection of the lines.
> The Nikon also handles awkward flash photography better. For instance at a
> party we attended on December 26 the Nikons pictures of people dancing in
> dim lighting with flashing strobes were perfect. Most of the Minoltas was
> blurred. Probably my fault, but as I took both sets of photos I would say
> the Nikon handled my deficiencies better.
> For a better idea visit http://www.nikondigitutor.com/eng/e3200/01/00.html
> not the same camera as the 4200 but everything applies.
> BTW I'm not a Nikon devotee as I'll soon be buying a Canon 20D.
> Would I buy all three cameras again? Yes. Which one would I recommend? The

Thanks for your views Dave, much appreciated!
!