Two ATI Radeon Graphics Cards Together

Status
Not open for further replies.

zerozeroseven

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
Hello,
I am planning to use an ATI Radeon HD 4850 and another HD 3400 together, with only a single monitor connected to the 4850 one. Will the 3400 Card remain useless, since I don't see any CrossFireX connector on it and there's no monitor I am going to connect to it ?

Solution

http://game.amd.com/us-en/content/images/crossfirex/CF_combo_chart.jpg

You're right that the 3400 can't Crossfire, and besides, you can't mix families like that.

wannaturnuptheheat

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010

http://game.amd.com/us-en/content/images/crossfirex/CF_combo_chart.jpg

You're right that the 3400 can't Crossfire, and besides, you can't mix families like that.

Solution

zerozeroseven

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011

OK, so is there any way I could make use of the 3400 one ?

wannaturnuptheheat

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010

I'm assuming that it is your old card and the 4850 is the new one? No, there isn't really anything you can do with it. Keep it as a backup in case your new GPU fails, maybe? You can't really resell it, as it's only 30 bucks new (assuming you have a 3450, there is no "3400" card). ATI/AMD doesn't have anything like NVidia's PhysX, so having a 'backup' GPU installed in the system doesn't do anything for you, I'm afraid.

zerozeroseven

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011

Hmm, so you mean there are 2 options for me now:
1) remove the 3400 card and keep it aside.
2) buy a new monitor and use dual displays to make use of both the cards, otherwise the 3400 will just consume power.
Am I correct ?

wannaturnuptheheat

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010

Correct on 1, unsure on 2. I'll be honest, I have no idea how multi-monitor support works for multiple video cards; that is, I'm not sure if you're thinking of doing an Eyefinity (extended display) or having the other monitor do something completely different. However, spending more money to get a new monitor is probably not in your best interests, because you will NOT be able to do extended display, ONLY a separate image (as far as I know). Crossfired video cards "cooperate" to work on one image, be it a single monitor or a spread. I do not recommend you get a new monitor to use a $30 GPU; instead, I recommend you get a better video card than the 4850 (if you haven't actually made the purchase yet), or if it's already in your possession, consider just getting a second 4850 and Crossfiring those (if you can afford a new monitor, you can probably afford a second 4850 for 90 bucks).

I wouldnt keep the 3400 in there, even if you got a second monitor i would suggest hooking it straight into the 4850, it doesnt affect the 4850's performance much(if at all, i havent noticed a difference) and giving the 3400 something to do would make it use more power when you could use a tiny bit extra power on the 4850 and accomplish more. Just pull the 3400 out, its time for it to move into a box.

Status
Not open for further replies.