Audio for gaming, what should I go with??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Entoxicated

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
I'm building a new rig specifically meant for gaming and when it comes to audio I'm having a hard time finding just exactly what I'm looking for. So I really like the reviews I'm seeing from the Logitech G35 Headset the only problem is that its connected via USB and that means that I can't plug it in to a sound card which is my first concern. So then what would be another good headset that supports 7.1 and uses 3.5mm jack within the $100 range? Is there any kind of adapter I can use to bypass this without losing too much performance?

My second concern is which sound card would be best for gaming, keeping in mind that this is will also be used mainly by headphones and not so much speakers?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
So then what would be another good headset that supports 7.1 and uses 3.5mm jack within the $100 range?

None exist.

Is there any kind of adapter I can use to bypass this without losing too much performance?

Nope. USB is digital, 3.5mm is analog. Nevermind they are totally different interfaces.

My second concern is which sound card would be best for gaming, keeping in mind that this is will also be used mainly by headphones and not so much speakers?

Depending on the headphones in question, you may want to get a soundcard with a built in amp [ASUS Xonar ST/STX, ASUS Xonar Xense, Auzentech Forte, HT Omega Claro XT]. If not, then the HT Omega Striker, ASUS Xonar D1/DX, and Auzentech Meridian 2G are the best all...
So then what would be another good headset that supports 7.1 and uses 3.5mm jack within the $100 range?

None exist.

Is there any kind of adapter I can use to bypass this without losing too much performance?

Nope. USB is digital, 3.5mm is analog. Nevermind they are totally different interfaces.

Depending on the headphones in question, you may want to get a soundcard with a built in amp [ASUS Xonar ST/STX, ASUS Xonar Xense, Auzentech Forte, HT Omega Claro XT]. If not, then the HT Omega Striker, ASUS Xonar D1/DX, and Auzentech Meridian 2G are the best all around bets.

For my money, the Xense + PC350 deal is probably the best around if you still need a pair of headphones. You can simulate 7.1 by enabling Dolby Headphone.

Solution

Releak

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
I'm running an SB X-fi Xtreme Audio with SB Tactic3D Sigma headset, and I'm very happy. Maybe the SB Tactic3D Alpha headset would be within your budget. You could also go with a cheap BULK version of an XtremeGamer sound card with either Tactic3D Alpha headset or a Razer Charcharias headset.

Entoxicated

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
Yeah I was looking heavily into the charcharias headset from Razer although the lack of 5.1/7.1 concerns me and also I've heard several reviews saying that sound easily escapes the ear muffs. With Xonar Essence STX sound card I plan on getting though maybe I don't have to worry about them technically being 5.1/7.1

Releak

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
To be honest I think the Razer Charcharias would be a waste with an Xonar Essence STX card. The Charcharias headset feels like plastic crap. I was very surprised how vulnerable they are when i first unpacked, but sound was okay and feels like you have nothing around your ears when you wear them which is good. The adjustable size works like crap, and with on-board sound it was all scratchy when I turned up the volume too high. However the mic is absolutely unbeatable. I still miss that mic your voice is crisp clear.

Also, reading reviews about the Xonar Essence STX it's mostly meant for music? Not meant for music, but for gaming the Titanium HD beats out the Essence STX, so that's worth thinking about now where you wanna build it primarily for gaming. I doubt other brand can match creative when it comes to the sound of gaming. At least that's what you can hear from reviews of people who've experienced it.

I only mention the Razer Charcharias because I've had that headset myself, and it's a decent one that'd go well for a low priced sound card like XtremeGamer or Xtreme Audio. However, with an Xonar Essence STX I would go with a different headset by far.

Entoxicated

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
Well I do listen to a bunch of music as well but from what I've gathered the creative cards just don't match the quality of the STX and it has a setting specifically for gaming. You think I should go with one of the x-fi sound cards from creative though for gamin?

Releak

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
From what I've picked up it's a bit different. Here are some examples I've picked up from sound enthusiasts.

"I've owned the STX version of the Essence, and I was blown away by the card's musicality....
But this Titanium HD has me interested. I would really like a EAX capable card, without having to sacrifice sound quality."

"I own both cards and the Xonar Essense ST(STX) would be my choice if I had to own only one...of these budget cards.
The Titanium HD is surprisingly competent for a Creative product and deserves better press than what it gets from the disenchanted Creative owners of previous products.,"

"I have auditioned Titanium HD for about 2 weeks. It sounds pretty much similar to Beresford TC-7520, but the latter sounds richer and louder. I also listened Xonar Essence before, but Titanium HD gives better soundstage with better depth and pinpoint."

"I too own both cards, and tbh i prefere the Titan HD. But dont get me wronge BOTH are fantasic. I feel that the STX is more suited to music and the Titan for games and movies."

"Since you game first and music second, Then the X-FI HD for its gaming features. Other wise the STX if you dont care about EAX and yes it still used in openal. "

"Is surround important? If not, you could get the Titanium HD, the best overall experience for games, and handles music quite well on its own."

"So, is it better than the Xonar Essence? Honestly, we couldn’t detect a difference. Both cards are of such high quality that a purchasing decision will probably be determined by pricing, brand loyalty, or simple personal preference"

I've gone through all this myself because I'm currently considering to upgrade my Xtreme Audio. Generally I've picked up that the Asus Xonar Essence STX doesn't quite support all games, and users have experienced minor gaming sound problems - not being able to use the card to it's potential.

Whatever you choose you'll probably be very happy. Sounds like both cards are great. However, I think it's the Asus Xonar Essence ST, and not STX that actually supports 7.1. Not sure though haven't looked into it since I use a headset only. If you use 7.1 speakers a different card than TiHD would probably suit you better. That's what they say, but entirely for gaming on a headset I'd go with TiHD.

1: EAX doesn't matter anymore; its a dead spec.

2: I want to know where this "doesn't support all games" stuff keeps comming from. The only issue I've ever had with any ASUS card is if GX [Directsound emulation] is enabled, and to be fair, VERY few games need this in the first place. [Basically, anything that needs EAX 5 emulation]

3: Dolby Headphone simulates 7.1 on a 2.1 set of headphones by taking a 7.1 signal and virtualizing it onto a 2.1 soundspace. This is EXACTLY how the G35 and other 7.1 headsets work. From my experiance, this works very well for front/back audio, but left/right does tend to get muddled a little bit. Its done at the driver level, so unlike the aforementioned G35, you shouldn't have to worry about non-support in games.

Also FYI, the ExtremeAudio is CRAP. Its basically an Audigy 2 rebranded. Even among Creative's other offerings, its really bad.

Releak

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011

So is it better to have a sound card that can emulate 7.1 along with a pair of headset that can emulate 7.1 too? Or maybe it doesn't matter as long as one of the them can emulate? I would guess you'd get better quality by picking up a card that can emulate it?

I read a review somewhere that the Asus Xonar Essence could be a tad troublesome at the settings for gaming. If you didn't know about the right setup you'd go a bit lost, as opposed to the TiHD that was easier. Dunno if this is true.

So is it better to have a sound card that can emulate 7.1 along with a pair of headset that can emulate 7.1 too? Or maybe it doesn't matter as long as one of the them can emulate? I would guess you'd get better quality by picking up a card that can emulate it?

Correct.

Emulated 7.1 works on a 2.1 speaker set. Those "7.1" headsets only have two speakers. The only thing done is the side/rear audio signals are mapped back into a stereo output, but offset somewhat to make it appear they are comming from the sides/back. Using Dolby Headphone alongside a headset that also does dolby headphone accomplishes nothing, as both are doing the same thing. Just get a good pair of 2.1 speakers, then use the soundcards dolby headphone functionallity.

I read a review somewhere that the Asus Xonar Essence could be a tad troublesome at the settings for gaming. If you didn't know about the right setup you'd go a bit lost, as opposed to the TiHD that was easier. Dunno if this is true.

Its not, but then again, most soundcard reviews are done by people who don't have a clue. [A recent review of the STX didn't even know what GX mode did, or how to enable ASUS' EAX 5 support.] Guru3d does good soundcard reviews, and when I run into a question I can't answer, I often point people to Robscix over at the guru3d forums.

Only major option to be aware of is the GX [Directsound emulation] option. You need it to get surround/EAX effects on Directsound games [pre-2006], but it tends to break some games if enabled [Mass Effect comes to mind].

Releak

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011

No he's just talking about how it works. You'll get surround sound effect with a Titanium HD as well. Both cards emulate it, but I think it's called THX TruStudio PC Surround on the TiHD, and Dolby Headphone on the Xonar Essence. On my Xtreme Audio card it's called X-Fi CMSS 3D. When I tick that option it turns into surround on my headset.

What I mean is that if you're using a 7.1 speaker system (not headphones) you're probably better off with the Xonar Essence since the TiHD has horrible cable settings, as far as I know. Something about using optical cables only.

I'm telling you right now, save $100 on the soundcard and get the AuzenTech Bravura 7.1 instead of the STX. It has everything you need. DTS, DTS Neo:pC, EAX 4, and has a high quality headphone amp for up to 600ohm headsets, plus all OpAmps are replaceable (as well as other features like CMSS 3D, Crystalizer, Alchemy, EQ, Bass Management, and multiple outputs). Most games use DirectSound 3D anyway so most of those features on most cards aren't going to matter much. Without tweaking a thing I get perfect 7.1 emulation on my stereo headset, to the point that I can track a sound movement orbiting around me, above, below... it's perfect.

Also, FYI, there's actual "surround" headsets that have 2 or 3 speakers per ear cup for "real" surround. I've never tried it but I've heard the quality of sound isn't as good as bigger stereo speakers. As for the emulating of 7.1, as far as I know, you can not emulate it on the headset if it uses analog inputs. Any headset that uses USB input has a built in "sound card" and completely bypasses any sound cards you may have installed. For example the Logitech G35.

So, yeah, save $100 on the sound card and invest it into a good $200 headset.

Releak

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011

I agree. That's what I'd recommend too. For just gaming, or music for that matter a cheaper sound card would do just fine, and you'd save a lot of money and still get blown away.

However I don't think this is true. Any true sound enthusiast would prefer analog over USB because of the digital conversion, which as far as I know will reduce sound quality. I don't believe a USB headset will emulate 7.1 surround better than a sound card. gamerk316 just said that. Doesn't matter what aspect you'd point at a dedicated sound card bypass USB headset by far.

Entoxicated

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011

I'm just curious but what headset do you use? Right now i'm deciding between the Razer Charcharias or the Sennheiser pc350. If I go the Bravura route I'll definately go pc350 since I'll be saving so much money

Misunderstanding my friend :) I'm not saying USB is better at emulating it, but someone previously had asked whether having a 7.1 card AND a headset that can emulate the 7.1 is better or worse. I'm just trying to say that it's impossible to have both. I totally agree that analog with a good sound card is better.

I'm using the Bravura and PC 350s. They are amazing! I haven't used those Charcharias though, no idea if they're any good.

That Xonar + PC350 package looks pretty good, good price too. I paid $100 for my Bravura but I got a sick deal on the PC 350s, NCIX.com had them on sale and my local store price matched them so they were only like $160 or something :D

Releak

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011

Yeah true that was actually me lol :D

Sounds like you should go with that deal it looks excellent. I read a couple of reviews of the Xonar Xense, and

It benchmarks better in Rightmark's Audio Analyzer than Creative's ostensibly superior X-Fi Titanium HD, and is great for gaming, with easily located positional effects, and the clarity to hear voice chatter above background explosions.

Just awesome! However, same review also says;

"As with any sound card review it's very easy to point out that similar quality which is almost indistinguishable to the casual gamer is available for less elsewhere, and there's a small stack of perfectly serviceable options ranging from the £40-odd Xonar D1 or Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer."

Taken from techradar.com btw. Xtreme Gamer and Xtreme Audio etc. might stink in eyes to sound enthusiasts, but all along they're at least better than on-board and a good choice just for gaming.

From bit-tech

In the heat of the battle, there was little to distinguish this setup from the already excellent positional audio provided by cheaper cards in the Xonar range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS