Sign in with
Your question
Closed

SLI me or supersize me?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 23, 2011 4:45:56 PM

Hello all! I have been building a wonderfully enthusiastic budget gaming machine and am excitedly nearing hte finish. The final touch, however, is undecided.
I have played many games on many old and outdated computers, but this one will finally let me pump Anti aliasing up to full and whip out the Direct X 11. I am excited, but this is where the question remains in my heart.
I have already purchased and am using an EVGA GTS 450. I have been very impressed. Everything from Left 4 Dead 2 to Dragon Age: Origins to Mass effect 2 run on full settings (8X-16X Anti Aliasing, 16X Anisotropic filtering) with only minor frame losses from an overall agreeable rate. Now as I finish building my rig and I must choose: Should I SLI this puppy, or ditch it for a GTX 460?
One of my concerns is my power supply. It will handle a single GTS 450 or a single GTX 460, but will it handle two GTS 450s? It is here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
I understand and have researched much on this and know the Wattage can probably manage, but what about the +12 volt rail? Nothing I can find gives me the formula for calculating SLI amperage use. Do you simply double it? Can my power supply hand that with 56 Amps on the combined 2 rails? Do you combine the rails to get the rating, even though on of the two rails might hit the shut off point? These gnawing questions have nearly caused me to collapse in a very confused heap. Any help would be highly appreciated.

System Specifications:

-AMD Phenom II X2 555 (Hopefully unlocking it to four cores today)
-ASUS M4N82 Deluxe Motherboard
-2X 2Gb of Super Talent DDR2 (800) Ram & 2X 2Gb of G-Skill DDR2 (800) Ram (8Gb total)
-DVD RW (Pata)
-500 Gb Western Digital Blue Caviar HDD (Sata)
-EVGA GTS 450 FPB
-HEC X-Power Pro 650W PSU (2 +12V rails, 30A and 26A respectively)

More about : sli supersize

a c 431 Î Nvidia
February 23, 2011 4:49:40 PM

Get a second GTS 450 and don't worry about the power supply. The 450 is a miserly card when it comes to power consumption. Two will bring you up into high-end performance range.
Score
February 23, 2011 4:55:53 PM

That is very reassuring! Thank you. I'll leap on it and let everyone know how it goes!

One last thing, is micro-stuttering an issue here? And, I would still like to know if you simply need to double the required amperage on any given card when you SLI it.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a c 431 Î Nvidia
February 23, 2011 5:00:20 PM

Micro-stuttering is an AMD thing. No, to doubling the amperage, since the power supply also powers the rest of the system, so adding another is less power than just doubling the power necessary for one card.
February 23, 2011 5:05:06 PM

Best answer selected by Corybander.
Score
February 23, 2011 5:05:54 PM

Thank you, that resolves my concerns fully!
Score
a c 172 Î Nvidia
February 23, 2011 5:09:48 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!