asimov

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
Hi,

I had a problem were my pc use to get hanged when playing games... i reinstalled windows7 64-bit and i did a memtest and it started working... it was working fine... i had played call of duty and it was working all fine... but again the pc started to hang when i play game... i did the memory test and found nothing with my ram, and the pc still hangs when playing game....

My configuration is as follows (please note i have personally assembled this pc): -

i5 2400 processor
intel DH61WW 3.1ghz motherboard
4-gb transcend RAM 1330 MHZ
Galaxy GTS 450 GC graphic card
cooler master 500w psu (had changed it recently because of the pc hangs which i was facing earlier)
temperatue is max around 50-55 degrees when playing games, doesn't go more than that.

i was also checking event viewer for any errors... and there is an error called kernel-eventtracing and kernel-power error... i guess that kernel-power error comes because i had to break the circuit of pc when it used to hang... is it because of this that my pc hangs? how to solve it?

Please let me know how to solve this problem, its really bugging as i am not able to know why this pc hangs are happening?

I would like to check the FSB speed of my mobo, can anyone help me with that too?

3xch4ng3

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011

Some preliminary steps that should always be taken when trouble shooting an issue are as follows:

1. Make sure you have the latest drivers installed for your Motherboard, Video card, Sound Card Etc. Also, when updating Chipset and Video card drivers, Always use the technology manufacture website (i.e Nivida, AMD/ATI, Intel) not the branded companies site (i.e Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, etc)

2. Scan your computer for Virus, Malware, Etc. with the latest Updated Anti-Virus - I use Windows Security Essentials and Malware bytes if WSE doesn't fix the issue.

3. Make sure you have the latest updates for your O/S. Windows Update should take care of this

Give these 3 steps a try and see if that fixes the issue. If not, we can take it to the next step.

P.S To check system specs including FSB (Which actually doesn't apply to you as Core i5's have QPI now, not FSB) use this:

CPU-Z
http://www.cpuid.com/

asimov

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
Thank you for the response... i have tried installing new drivers from nvidia... but the problem got worse... when i try to play game... the nvidia kernel stopped responding because of which my screen use to go blank and come again after some time... sometimes it use to repeat a lot of time because of which the pc restarts.... i am planning to put the old driver and see if the screen goes blank or not.... installing...

3xch4ng3

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
Are you getting a BSoD error when the system restarts or freezes? If you Nvidia kernel stops working repeatedly you might have a faulty video card. Did you try the rest of the steps?

asimov

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
i have tried the rest of the steps... i have an ESET security... which is updated and therefore i am sure there is no malware/virus... my windows is also updated... i dont know if my video card is faulty as it has run well throughout the whole game... i have finished 2 games like that i.e call of duty and battlefield:bc 2... the pc starts hanging after a week or so... this is the same time it has happened both the time earlier and this time... is it any fault with my windows 7 and the driver.... my windows is not geuine, is it problem because of which the drivers are having a clash with the OS... can it be a problem?

asimov

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
I will also like to mention that my Galaxy GTS 450 is factory overclocked by Galaxy... therefore is it possible that it is not compatible with any other hardware like RAM etc....?

3xch4ng3

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
Having a non-Genuine copy of Windows is never a good idea. Without a genuine copy, you cannot easily access the patches; service packs, and updates for the O/S that could be causing these problems.

In general, an unpatched Windows 7 shouldn't be locking up, but it could be a factor.

Video cards typically do not have any sort of compatibility issue outside of trying to run Crossfire or SLI. You don't have to match Chipsets or Memory to a Video Card.

I would contact Galaxy and let them know you're having the Nvidia Kernel issue and see if they can suggest anything or setup a RMA to switch out the card.

Another way to narrow down if it's the video card or not is to switch out the GTS 450 with another video card or use the Motherboard's on-board video and see if your PC still locks up.

asimov

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
Thanks a lot for the help... one more issue i faced is when i was running the chkdsk... it crashes in the first test itself without giving any report... any suggestions why it is happening?

3xch4ng3

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
Ah, this could be bad memory in the unit. Typically when you're doing a disk check or a Disk Defrag it relies heavily on the system RAM as it's constantly reading the disk and accesses the different sectors.

I would run a Memory test outside of Windows to check and see if you have any faulty memory.

http://www.memtest.org/

I would suggest running it off a USB:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=653665

Let the test run 5 loops and see if there are any errors.

asimov

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
hi, i have tried memtest earlier for 4 passes but hasn't detected anything... i will try it for 5 passes... but does it makes any difference if i run for longer passes?

3xch4ng3

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011

I usually run 5 passes to make sure the system is fully tested. Also, it factors in the various temperature ranges as the system heats up over time. If you've completed 4 passes you should be fine. I would check with Galaxy to see if they have any suggestions, the Nvidia Kernel error keeps coming back to me as a faulty card.

asimov

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
ok... i formatted the laptop and reinstalled windows and latest drivers from nvidia.com... everything works fine... game works fine for 10-15 min... after that the monitor goes to sleep ( 'power saving mode' message comes on the screen )... it goes blank and comes back again... but no crashes neither do pc hangs.... and the game continues on when the screen is back... than it keeps happening after 2-3 mins until i shut the game... the temp is only around 50 degrees... so no issue with temp... what can be the cause? any suggestion?

3xch4ng3

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011

You spec'd out a PC above and now are mentioning a Laptop. Either way, it looks like a video card issue to me. If the system is hanging and video feeds are going out I would get the Video Card replaced.

asimov

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011

ok i have got my gpu replaced... but still the problem prevails... pc hangs when playing games... any suggestion?