• Routers
  • File Sharing
  • Book
  • Ethernet Card
  • Networking
  • Product
Last response: in Networking
August 10, 2010 4:52:40 AM

I would like to have a way of "splitting" the single Ethernet port on the I/O panel of my desktop in order not to have to unplug my main Ethernet line in order to use a cross-over cable for connecting my net-book for file sharing.

I have no crazy networking in mind, and do not mind if I loose access to the network on my desktop while I am connected with my net-book. The main reason for doing this would be to avoiding the hassle of switching out lines, and instead having one loose cable available to plug into my net-book at any time.

Is there some kind of splitter that would allow my to manually switch between lines with a switch on the splitter itself.

Otherwise, with a P6X58D-E mobo running only one Marvell Gigabit Ethernet network adapter, would it be an issue to add as second adapter for this purpose (ie. pain in the ass). If not, would PCI be best, or USB etc.?

Thank you for the help. I would be glad to clarify further if any of this is unclear. This is all somewhat new(nooB) to me.

More about : ethernet port splitting options net book file sharing

August 10, 2010 8:10:11 AM

would a router work for your problem?
m
l
August 10, 2010 5:41:04 PM

Quote:
Emerald said:
would a router work for your problem?

Unfortunately we will already have a router set up which I will not have easy access to (in an adjacent room which is part of another studio).

I am looking for something cheap that would make switching between the main Ethernet line and a cross-over cable more convenient than reaching around behind the computer tower and switching out the lines manually every time I want to share files between my desktop and net-book.
m
l
Related resources
August 10, 2010 6:37:13 PM

so if I understand you correctly there is a cable coming from the router to your computer which you unplug to plug in the crossover, right?

if that is the case, would a network switch work? you would plug the cable from the router into the switch and run a cable from the switch to each the computer and the net-book.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
August 14, 2010 6:49:22 PM

I think that does make the most sense. I have decided however to just run a second cable from the main router through the wall and skip buying the extra hardware. I may try this setup in future. Thanks.
m
l
August 14, 2010 10:41:22 PM

Yeah, a switch is what you use for "splitting" and ethernet cable. Its simple and cheap. Probably 20 dollars for a cheap 5 port switch and 2 short ethernet cables.
m
l
!