Safe Temperatures / Volts for my new Custom-built Desktop?

aer0k

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2011
Hi everyone, I was wondering if the temperatures and volts of my new CPU and component are safe. I'm using HWMonitor to monitor my temps/voltages. And I would also like some explanation on what these mean.
"VIN1", "AVCC", "3VCC", "VIN4", "VIN 6" means under my "Voltages" tab.
Thanks in advance for any information!

TEMPS/VOLTS: http://i513.photobucket.com/albums/t332/d4nl3ll/Temperatures.png

Oh, and btw, I was browsing with Google Chrome, Downloading torrents, listening to music on iTunes, and also running MapleStory in the background while I was checking these temperatures.
SYSTEM SPECS: http://i513.photobucket.com/albums/t332/d4nl3ll/CustomPCbuild.png

eloric

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
Your temps are fine, given that you were not stressing your system, assuming your ambient (room) temperature is normal, and that you were running at stock speeds.

You built with a highly overclock-able, unlocked CPU, and it is just begging to rev up. This post should be in the overclocking forum where there is a plethora of good advice and answers to all your questions. Here is the guide from that forum that will answer some of your voltage questions and start you on your way: I7 - 2600K / I5 - 2500K Overclocking Guide by mrface

A few observations:

1) Download CPUid so that we know your bios settings.

2) Take your temps when stressing your system, not just when your are doing some mundane tasks. Here is the ideal tool to check the stability of your CPU: Prime95. Expect your temperatures to rise significantly when running this utility.

3) I did not see a heat sink in your parts list. The stock cooler on the i5-2500k CPU is less than ideal quality. This Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus for $27 and free shipping is a great deal, and very effective.

Good luck.

aer0k

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2011
Thank you for the good advice, appreciate it. :) and I don't want to OC bcuz I heard that shortens the lifespan of your computer/parts, and I want to keep this computer for a long time. And yeah I don't have a heatsink. Is buying one really necessary? Thank you for any advice in advance :)

eloric

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
Overclocking is not as risky as it once was. The CPU you purchased was designed to go faster (and you paid more money for that capability). If you are reasonable about your overclock, it will not reduce the lifespan of your CPU to less than its useful life. The link to the OC instructions gives you a very conservative approach that should not threaten your components. As long as you pay attention to your temperatures (which you are already doing) and stay within safe bounds of your voltages, there should be no problems. If after all this, you still decide not to overclock, then you do not need a heat sink.