Sign in with
Your question

What's up with the Graphics Charts?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 23, 2011 5:36:27 PM

The charts are way out of date with no GTX 500 or HD 6000 cards and the benchmark games are ridiculous. Avatar, Left 4 Dead 2, and Supreme Commander 2? AvP is a DX11 title at least but it's not a great title to benchmark with anyways and the DX11 isn't even used. Additionally, there aren't near enough articles reviewing SLI or Crossfire performance, I'm continuously going over to Guru3D for reviews. Anyways, hope we can expect an update soon...

More about : graphics charts

a b U Graphics card
February 23, 2011 5:38:06 PM

I think ArmA2 is a great game to use as a benchmark and should be used more often, it's more demanding than BC2 by quite some margin at high settings.
February 23, 2011 5:49:00 PM

omnisome said:
I think ArmA2 is a great game to use as a benchmark and should be used more often, it's more demanding than BC2 by quite some margin at high settings.

Hm, I haven't played ArmA 2 so I can't comment on this directly, but does it LOOK better than BC2? A good benchmark is a game that will scale consistently and predictably, and shows noticeable graphical improvements as you increase the workload. Some games will give your computer a workout but only as a result of poor programming instead of heavy graphics demands. The Source engine in the Half-Life 2 games is a great example of an engine that produced great visuals with a minimum of resources. Anyways, ArmA 2 may in fact be a better benchmark, just wanted to point out that there's more to a good benchmark than just being demanding...but seriously, enough with the benchmarks where everything's up around 200 fps (looking at you L4D2 and ME2) or where everything's bottlenecked at 100 fps (Supreme Commander 2). And honestly, what was Tom's thinking when they EndWar for the 2009 chart? A game that's LOCKED at 30 fps? Really?
a b U Graphics card
February 23, 2011 6:49:08 PM

ArmA2 has been labeled as 'poor progamming' in the past but it's really not so bad, the graphics quality or 'eye candy' is high quality, especially in the OA expansion pack.
Related resources
!