Z68 Extreme 3 Gen3

Samahan

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
Hello,
I recently purchased a Z68 Extreme 3 Gen3 motherboard from ASRock (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106289) and i've been having some issues getting the mother board to work with my DvD drive.

For reference this is the DvD drive I purchased
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106289

What happens is that before windows starts up the dvd drive opens and works normally, but once windows takes over (after the motherboard is done doing its initial start up) the dvd drive closes and fails to open. From different threads i've seen on the topic I think it has to do something with my Sata controller being set to AHCI mode. My problem is that I already installed windows and practically everything else is working with my computer setup in AHCI mode but to get this dvd drive to work I think my Sata controller has to be set to IDE. That being said I noticed on other forums how users have found ways to get other motherboards to have different controller modes based off which of the sata ports are being used. I could not find any way to do this in the bios setup but honestly i'm very new to this so I wouldn't be surprised if I missed something.

Is there a way I could say set my SATA 6GB connectors to ahci mode, but then turn the SATA 3GB connectors to IDE? Or perhaps some other solution?

Thank you,
Sam

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED
i can do it on my asrock extreme 4. it has 2 seperate sata controllers onboard. i cant remember exactly how without going into my bios.

according to the newegg details on your mobo you have 2xsata3 and 4xsata2. make sure your boot drive is on the sata 3 while your dvd rom is on the sata 2. the sata 2 should be a marvell controller or something in the bios

Samahan

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
Thank's for the response.

I've been attempting to do what you are describing but I think I am missing a key piece of information. Is the UEFI screen the same thing as going into the bios? If so I'm not sure where I can manipulate the two types of sata controllers. Sorry for what might be a very basic question but I am quite new to this and i've seen conflicting information online about UEFI vs BIOS.

Thanks,
Sam

Samahan

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKdv5gfo5oM
This is a random video that shows all of the UEFI settings with some guy rambling in the background.
At ~ 3:41 http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=xKdv5gfo5oM#t=221s
He goes into the storage configuration and you can see what i've been using/manipulating. He like me has it on AHCI mode, but it appears to apply to every sata drive without the option of configuring them seperately or based off type SATA2/3.

I looked at a video for the extreme 4 and the screen looks very similar so I am wondering if I am simply doing this the wrong way.

Thanks,
Sam

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED
alright, i rebooted my computer just for you ;) (something i usually only do every few weeks for windows update :p )

i took a picture of the option in my bios for my second sata controller:
x36eg.jpg

Samahan

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
I really appreciate it. From the looks of it that option simply is not in the extreme3 bios at all. Searching on the net doesn't come up with many results either, but extreme4 does come up. I think i'm going to be stuck replacing the dvd drive or reinstalling windows 7. Joy.

Thanks again.
Sam

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED
could always get a usb dvd drive, theyre useful for other things too (like lappys without a dvd drive.)

i bought a 50 dollar hd-dvd xbox drive years ago and i still find myself plugging it in from time to time when i really need to read a dvd

edit: theres another option too, if you go on newegg and search for "sata to usb" you will find a bunch of 10-20 dollar cables that would let you connect the dvd burner you already have to a usb port.

feel free to select a best answer (even if i wasnt too much help, lol) :)

best of luck!

-neon