Sign in with
Your question
Closed

SLI First time

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 23, 2011 6:04:44 PM

Sup sup, So i Just bought my two first Nvidia cards ever. Got myself 2 GTX 570 Gainward GS - 732Mhz stock.

Considering this is my first time using greens, I'm not 100% sure how to optimize them for best performance.

I did a fresh install of.. Vista..64 bit..(I'm a bit behind) Overclocked my CPU corei7 920, to a stable 3.7Ghz hoping to not get any bottlenecks. Cards are still at stock speed, gonna OC soon. Maybe 850Mhz or so.

So to my questions:
What do I need to optimize my SLI setup in games, I've got latest drivers, enabled SLI I'n CP, atleast I think so.. I checked the "Maximize 3D performance"..So SLI should be enabled?

Is there any way I can find out that both cards are working together and actually increasing performance?

I navigated myself 'round the Nvidia CP, then stumbled over the "Manage 3D Settings" under "3D settings" Tab.
Now, do I need to change anything here? like Ambient Occulision, gamma correction, antialiasing etc. etc. or can these interfere with the "in-game" settings.. or override them or something?

lastly, are SLI profiles a must? I'd probably get them afterwards, but for now I just wanna test some games.

Thanks^^

More about : sli time

a c 271 U Graphics card
February 23, 2011 6:16:53 PM

naits360 said:
Sup sup, So i Just bought my two first Nvidia cards ever. Got myself 2 GTX 570 Gainward GS - 732Mhz stock.

Considering this is my first time using greens, I'm not 100% sure how to optimize them for best performance.

I did a fresh install of.. Vista..64 bit..(I'm a bit behind) Overclocked my CPU corei7 920, to a stable 3.7Ghz hoping to not get any bottlenecks. Cards are still at stock speed, gonna OC soon. Maybe 850Mhz or so.

So to my questions:
What do I need to optimize my SLI setup in games, I've got latest drivers, enabled SLI I'n CP, atleast I think so.. I checked the "Maximize 3D performance"..So SLI should be enabled?

Is there any way I can find out that both cards are working together and actually increasing performance?

I navigated myself 'round the Nvidia CP, then stumbled over the "Manage 3D Settings" under "3D settings" Tab.
Now, do I need to change anything here? like Ambient Occulision, gamma correction, antialiasing etc. etc. or can these interfere with the "in-game" settings.. or override them or something?

lastly, are SLI profiles a must? I'd probably get them afterwards, but for now I just wanna test some games.

Thanks^^

Try enabling the SLi indicators then run FutureMark or something.
February 23, 2011 6:58:29 PM

Yeah, like mousemonkey said, enabling the SLI indicators is the only way to get real physical evidence that SLI is working, but you'll find an actual radio button in the control panel that lets you enable/disable SLI...should be in the same window as PhysX if I'm remembering correctly, so it should be pretty obvious. As for the SLI profiles, these are just optimizations released between driver updates to improve SLI performance in certain games. These profiles are then incorporated into the next driver update, so if there haven't been any new SLI profiles since the last driver update then you don't need to worry about downloading them.
Related resources
February 23, 2011 11:44:23 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Try enabling the SLi indicators then run FutureMark or something.

bikeracer4487 said:
Yeah, like mousemonkey said, enabling the SLI indicators is the only way to get real physical evidence that SLI is working, but you'll find an actual radio button in the control panel that lets you enable/disable SLI...should be in the same window as PhysX if I'm remembering correctly, so it should be pretty obvious. As for the SLI profiles, these are just optimizations released between driver updates to improve SLI performance in certain games. These profiles are then incorporated into the next driver update, so if there haven't been any new SLI profiles since the last driver update then you don't need to worry about downloading them.

SLI indicators? I clicked the button "Maximize 3D Performance" in SLI Configuration window.. if this si what you mean?

Still, what about the 3D settings in the Nvidia CP? Should I change these to my liking or ignore them and rather configure them in the game?
February 24, 2011 12:25:43 AM

naits360 said:
SLI indicators? I clicked the button "Maximize 3D Performance" in SLI Configuration window.. if this si what you mean?

Still, what about the 3D settings in the Nvidia CP? Should I change these to my liking or ignore them and rather configure them in the game?

Well, right now I don't have an SLI configuration (though I used to) so I can't see exactly what you're seeing but I think under "3D Settings" in the top menu bar you should see "Show PhysX Visual Indicator" and "Show SLI Visual Indicator"...I see the PhysX one but not the SLI one since I don't HAVE SLI...but I'm fairly certain it would be there... As for customizing the 3D Settings, I tend to leave them alone unless a game has issues...most often a game will have issues with its Vsync so I'll disable it in-game and use the one in the CP. Or, if it's an older game or lacks AF or AA settings I'll sometimes override these, but generally I find it's best just to use the in-game settings.
February 24, 2011 12:41:11 AM

Yupp, I found it now, was kinda lazy, but see the SLI bar now. Currently only game i had installed was borderlands, played it for 10 min half the bar was green most the time. But I guess newer games will utilize both 570s to a further extent.

I also read something bout an option in the Nvidia CP, that could indicate CPU bottleneck. Anyone heard of it?

I don't think I should be witness to one though. My core i7 920 runs at 3.7Ghz ..? whatta you guys think?And what if I overclock these two cards til .. 800 Mhz - 850 Mhzrange?

Best solution

February 24, 2011 2:28:54 AM

No, even at stock clocks you'd need like 3 480's to see a CPU bottleneck on i7's. And I've never heard of an option in the CP to determine bottleneck, but the easiest way to check for a bottleneck is to run a game at a lower resolution. If the framerate doesn't improve, or changes very little, then you've got yourself a CPU bottleneck, otherwise you're good to go.
March 7, 2011 10:46:18 AM

Best answer selected by naits360.
a c 271 U Graphics card
March 7, 2011 5:20:29 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!