Sign in with
Your question
Solved

AMD Athlon II X2 255 and a ATI HD 6870

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
February 23, 2011 9:16:27 PM

So my CPU is the Athlon 255 stated in the topic and I just purchased the HD 6870. Ass of right now I mostly play WoW and I know that processor is fine there. My question is, now that I have a good GPU if I wanted to go buy Crysis or something like that how bad will that CPU effect my game play. I have seen the benchmarks for the card and Im happy with those but they are all done on much more powerful CPU's.

Best solution

a c 214 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
February 23, 2011 9:29:25 PM

Your dual core will more than likely get bogged down by the weight of Crysis or any other intesive game and it will take your 6870 with it.If you have the money i would suggest upgrading to a Athlon ii x4.The good ones don't cost more than $100.

Do you have the athlon ii or the first generation?

What socket is your mobo?
a b U Graphics card
February 23, 2011 10:27:06 PM

purple stank said:
Your dual core will more than likely get bogged down by the weight of Crysis or any other intesive game and it will take your 6870 with it.If you have the money i would suggest upgrading to a Athlon ii x4.The good ones don't cost more than $100.

I have the Athlon II socket AM3. If i decide to start playing crysis and such im thinking about the Phenom II X4 965 :bounce:  :o  what do you think about that combo?
m
l
Related resources
a c 214 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
February 23, 2011 10:33:45 PM

Yah i have the 965 and it's great.It's a really good prossesor.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 23, 2011 10:48:58 PM

purple stank said:
Yah i have the 965 and it's great.It's a really good prossesor.

I see you have the setup im looking to have sooner or later lol what how high can you crank up the setting and what sort of frame rates do you get?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 23, 2011 11:02:33 PM

On video games you don't need a very good processor, so I'll answer for him, considering only the CPU bottlenecks; maximum settings in all games like fluid FPS.
m
l
a c 235 U Graphics card
a c 105 à CPUs
February 23, 2011 11:08:52 PM

purple stank said:

crysis is a dual core game, he would have the exact same FPS with the x2 as he would the x4...... :pfff: 

here is the proof

athlon II x2 @ 2.8ghz 65FPS
athlon II x4 @ 2.8ghz 68FPS
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/114?vs=105
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
February 24, 2011 12:03:02 AM

Well i have the 965 O.C. to 3.9ghz and my XFX6870 is up to 975/1225.I can max out almost any DX9 game like COD Black Ops but on the more demanding games like BFBC2 i can to turn it down a bit.I still can max it out but i pull back on the AA and AF but i still get 50+ fps.

I agree but it's a small gain, but still a gain.And it is futureproof to upgrade to a quad core.I'm sure he's more than intrested in playing Crysis 2.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 24, 2011 4:09:47 AM

ct1615 said:
crysis is a dual core game, he would have the exact same FPS with the x2 as he would the x4...... :pfff: 

here is the proof

athlon II x2 @ 2.8ghz 65FPS
athlon II x4 @ 2.8ghz 68FPS
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/114?vs=105

that website is cool thanks for the link :wahoo: 

when I adjust the second processor to the one im thinking about it gets better

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/121?vs=102

it shows about 18 FFPS improvement now it doesnt show the whole system specs and I doubt the 6870 and the phenom 965 would really pull 80 FPS so the GPU must have been much more savage than the 6870 lol
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
February 24, 2011 6:46:14 AM

So what is your decision? What are your plans?
m
l
a c 106 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
February 24, 2011 2:30:50 PM

Yeah, the 255 is a bit underpowered for that GPU, unless you're running eyefinity ^_^. Anyway, at the very least you can overclock your CPU, but if you're going to replace your CPU I say get a 955BE C3, a good CPU cooler, and overclock it :D .
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 24, 2011 2:50:25 PM

purple stank said:
So what is your decision? What are your plans?

downloaded the crysis demo yesterday...With all settings as high as the demo will let me (very high 8xAA) I get about 27-32 FPS not bad for that processor. Do you guys think the full realese version of the game will run smoother? What do you use to OC your card? I have a lenovo so I cant OC the CPU right now so im going to end up with the 965 stock but if im avg 30 FPS full settings Im not in a big hurry to spend the $150 lol I might just wait until I can get a bigger case and new mobo and the processor at the same time but thats going to be around $300 give or take and I dont need the extra 15-20 FPS that bad this second.
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
February 24, 2011 3:56:56 PM

Crysis is still difficult to max out even after years of it's release.Still one of the worlds most demanding games.You will need a corssfire setup in order to run it on it's max settings.Otherwise i would say tone down the AA and AF and put it on high settings and you should get in the 50's fps.
I was playing the ripped version of Crysis 2 and it isn't nearly as demanding as the original Crysis.I had everything maxed out and was averaging 50+fps.So if you are into Crysis that i guess it's something to look forward to in Crysis 2.I'm sure Crysis 2 beifnits from a quad core CPU so it's well invested.

I use MSI Afterburner to OC my GPU and i OC the CPU from the BIOS.If you don't think it's worth buying the CPU now and you want to wait i would suggest waiting until april or may.That should be when the new AMD Bulldozer chips will be released.If you can afford the Bulldozer chips then i would say go ahead but if you cannot i'm sure the prices will drop for the older generation Phenom ii chips.You could possibly get a Phenom ii x6.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 24, 2011 4:35:48 PM

purple stank said:
Crysis is still difficult to max out even after years of it's release.Still one of the worlds most demanding games.You will need a corssfire setup in order to run it on it's max settings.Otherwise i would say tone down the AA and AF and put it on high settings and you should get in the 50's fps.
I was playing the ripped version of Crysis 2 and it isn't nearly as demanding as the original Crysis.I had everything maxed out and was averaging 50+fps.So if you are into Crysis that i guess it's something to look forward to in Crysis 2.I'm sure Crysis 2 beifnits from a quad core CPU so it's well invested.

I use MSI Afterburner to OC my GPU and i OC the CPU from the BIOS.If you don't think it's worth buying the CPU now and you want to wait i would suggest waiting until april or may.That should be when the new AMD Bulldozer chips will be released.If you can afford the Bulldozer chips then i would say go ahead but if you cannot i'm sure the prices will drop for the older generation Phenom ii chips.You could possibly get a Phenom ii x6.

So the Msi software works n the XFX card then right? what kind of temps are you seeing on that card with that OC?
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
February 24, 2011 5:47:31 PM

Well with the MSI software you can set a fan speed profile.The max temp for the 6870 is somewhere between 90c and 100c.I set my fan speed to match the temperature.For example if my GPU is at 50c the fan speed is at 50%.In the most GPU intesive games the highest i've seen the temps is around 70c.It's not an extreme O.C. either i haven't messed with the voltage for it,it's still at stock.But the hotter it gets the louder it gets to.

I was very disapointed when i first got my 6870 and heard how loud it was at full load.I'm trying to buy an aftermarket cooler for it but they are very expensive at the moment.The one i was looking at is around $50.And if you alter/mod the 6870 in anyway it voids XFX's lifetime warranty.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 24, 2011 6:33:28 PM

purple stank said:
Well with the MSI software you can set a fan speed profile.The max temp for the 6870 is somewhere between 90c and 100c.I set my fan speed to match the temperature.For example if my GPU is at 50c the fan speed is at 50%.In the most GPU intesive games the highest i've seen the temps is around 70c.It's not an extreme O.C. either i haven't messed with the voltage for it,it's still at stock.But the hotter it gets the louder it gets to.

I was very disapointed when i first got my 6870 and heard how loud it was at full load.I'm trying to buy an aftermarket cooler for it but they are very expensive at the moment.The one i was looking at is around $50.And if you alter/mod the 6870 in anyway it voids XFX's lifetime warranty.

Cool thanks. Do I just download straight from the MSI website. I read somewhere that you need to patch the software to work with newer cards. Im not worried about fan noise I have a small case so just to be sure I added a case fan and set the toggle switch to be at full speed all the time lol. So safe to say my case is loud at the moment also I have my computer hooked up to my 40" LCD and the speakers tend to drowned out the fan noise wile im playing anyway. Ill set my GPU to your OC and see what happens hopefully I get a few more FPS even with this weak CPU lol.
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
February 24, 2011 6:53:59 PM

Yes you can just dl it from MSI's website.I just and dl'ed and it worked first try,no patching or updating it just plug n play.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 24, 2011 7:45:04 PM

purple stank said:
Yes you can just dl it from MSI's website.I just and dl'ed and it worked first try,no patching or updating it just plug n play.

one more question. BEcause afterburner is a software OC I will have to have the program up and running wile playing to get the OC right?
m
l
a c 171 U Graphics card
a c 82 à CPUs
February 24, 2011 7:48:56 PM

your CPU should be fine for most games still. Maybe Starcraft II would benefit from a faster CPU among a few other games. Crysis will run fine. It would be a good idea to invest in a quad core but only once you run across a game you wish to play that doesnt run so well.
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
February 24, 2011 8:35:38 PM

It's usually running in the background but sometimes it won't do it's thing.Go to the Settings option on the bottom of MSI Afterburner.There select Start with Windows and it will always be running even if you forgot to open it.One thing i'd like to add is that MSI Afterburner will overwrite/overrule any clock speeds or fan speeds that are set in CCC.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 24, 2011 11:21:56 PM

purple stank said:
It's usually running in the background but sometimes it won't do it's thing.Go to the Settings option on the bottom of MSI Afterburner.There select Start with Windows and it will always be running even if you forgot to open it.One thing i'd like to add is that MSI Afterburner will overwrite/overrule any clock speeds or fan speeds that are set in CCC.

Thats good CCC is broken for me I dont have the game tab to adjust anything so ill just use after burner lol
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
February 25, 2011 12:01:29 AM

When was the last time you downloaded updates from ATI for your 6870?Latest drivers are as of 2/15
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 25, 2011 6:26:41 PM

purple stank said:
When was the last time you downloaded updates from ATI for your 6870?Latest drivers are as of 2/15

Just installed the card 2 days ago so the drivers are the new ones from AMD's site. If I feel like I really need to use CCC ill re install those but for now im going to be lazy lol. Yesterday I got the card to be stable at 1000 core clock and 1200 mem clock with a slight voltage bump but I didnt see any improvement wile running the crysis GPU benchmark. Im guessing that because the CPU is probably bottlenecking my GPU I wont see any extra performance from an OC at the momment. Its nice to know for the future that this card will OC though thanks for the tip on the MSI software :wahoo: 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
February 25, 2011 6:45:06 PM

U'll only notice a bottleneck when the CPU can't deliver enough data for the card to process. So, let's be careful when pointing "bottleneck fingers" to the CPU/GPU.

And since the only resolution information you gave was your 40" LCD, let's assume is Full HD and you use it at 1920x1080@60Hz, where the 6870 pretty much max'es out almost every game and the card isn't starved at all.

If you go from the Athlon II x2 (wich is 3.1Ghz and based on Deneb) to the Phenom II X4 (3.4GHz , L3 cache wich doesn't affect games at all or a marginal improvement) you'll be wasting money IMO. Since you're only gaming in your rig, or at least sounds like the most CPU intensive app you run on it.

If you want a real, but CHEAP upgrade, like the first comment, I'll suggest the fastest Athlon II X3/4 you can find and OC it a little bit (3.2Ghz should be enough for any game for it to not be starved these days).

Where do I come with all this info? My own Phenom II experience. When I play light games (like Wow) i use it @2.8Ghz and never get down from 60FPS in open areas, cept when the 4890 can't keep up with shinny. In BBC2 or any UT3/Valve engine goes up to 3.9 Ghz cause they like CPU speed and cores.

Hope it helps you decide.

Cheers!
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
February 25, 2011 6:50:16 PM

If you only play WoW and no other game then stay with your current CPU.If you will play games like Crysis 2, Battlefield 3 and other new games then upgrading to a quad core will really benift the card.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 25, 2011 9:35:25 PM

Yuka said:
U'll only notice a bottleneck when the CPU can't deliver enough data for the card to process. So, let's be careful when pointing "bottleneck fingers" to the CPU/GPU.

And since the only resolution information you gave was your 40" LCD, let's assume is Full HD and you use it at 1920x1080@60Hz, where the 6870 pretty much max'es out almost every game and the card isn't starved at all.

If you go from the Athlon II x2 (wich is 3.1Ghz and based on Deneb) to the Phenom II X4 (3.4GHz , L3 cache wich doesn't affect games at all or a marginal improvement) you'll be wasting money IMO. Since you're only gaming in your rig, or at least sounds like the most CPU intensive app you run on it.

If you want a real, but CHEAP upgrade, like the first comment, I'll suggest the fastest Athlon II X3/4 you can find and OC it a little bit (3.2Ghz should be enough for any game for it to not be starved these days).

Where do I come with all this info? My own Phenom II experience. When I play light games (like Wow) i use it @2.8Ghz and never get down from 60FPS in open areas, cept when the 4890 can't keep up with shinny. In BBC2 or any UT3/Valve engine goes up to 3.9 Ghz cause they like CPU speed and cores.

Hope it helps you decide.

Cheers!

Im gaming at the one just under that (1760x1000?), for some reason when I set my res to 1920x1080 i loose the top and left edeges of my screen :heink:  Im with you on over clocking for the value the problem is right now I have a *** mobo that is locked and so I cant OC no matter what CPU i use. But I should at least get 3-4 FPS from an OC GPU and thats based on benchmarks from here and other sites. So I said that because I OC'ed my GPU and got the exact same fps in crysis. So what I have decided is 35-40 FPS with 4xAA in crysis is good for me now lol Later as games get more demanding ill upgrade my mobo and processor at the same time and go crossfire 6870's I think that should be a good set up for some time lol maybe ill work on that next year? not sure.

Side note how long do you think a crossfire 6870 and I dont know say Phenom II X6 system will be able to run most games at max res?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 25, 2011 9:42:41 PM

purple stank said:
If you only play WoW and no other game then stay with your current CPU.If you will play games like Crysis 2, Battlefield 3 and other new games then upgrading to a quad core will really benift the card.

I purchased crysis max pack so ill be playing that. WoW I can just go balls out and max everything lol In the citys it drops to 40fps 60 everywhere else. I figure If I can get some more use out of my CPU ill do that and then when AMD releases the bulldozers maybe Ill be able to get a phenom 6 core for a little cheaper lol
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
February 25, 2011 10:26:34 PM

Crysis is still very demanding so the results you see from that being maxed out will likely be the same for newer games.I'd think crossfire 6870's should last you about a year or 2 depending.I had the same idea but i wanted to tri fire or quad crossfire beacuse i know they won't last long but they didn't even make them to be compatible for tri fire or quad crossfire,so for now i'm stuck with 2.I did hear a rumor that some companies may make them x3 or x4 possible.Guess i'll jsut have to wait and see.
Right now playing the games you do, you won't see any difference between a x2 or x4.When you start playing newer games you will see a huge increase in performance going from x2 to x4 because they utlize the quad core.No sense in upgrading to a quad core if your just going to play Crysis and WoW.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 25, 2011 11:13:33 PM

purple stank said:
Crysis is still very demanding so the results you see from that being maxed out will likely be the same for newer games.I'd think crossfire 6870's should last you about a year or 2 depending.I had the same idea but i wanted to tri fire or quad crossfire beacuse i know they won't last long but they didn't even make them to be compatible for tri fire or quad crossfire,so for now i'm stuck with 2.I did hear a rumor that some companies may make them x3 or x4 possible.Guess i'll jsut have to wait and see.
Right now playing the games you do, you won't see any difference between a x2 or x4.When you start playing newer games you will see a huge increase in performance going from x2 to x4 because they utlize the quad core.No sense in upgrading to a quad core if your just going to play Crysis and WoW.

I saw a vid on youtube and 2 6870 corssfired looked like they where man handeling Metro 2033 thats not 2 shabby.
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
February 26, 2011 12:11:14 AM

Don't get me wrong they are very good when crossfired but just like all graphics cards they don't last long,thats why i wanted to tri fire and quad crossfire.
Thats a really CPU intensive game.What CPU did they have?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 26, 2011 10:22:11 AM

purple stank said:
Don't get me wrong they are very good when crossfired but just like all graphics cards they don't last long,thats why i wanted to tri fire and quad crossfire.
Thats a really CPU intensive game.What CPU did they have?

think it was an OC core i7 lol. want to have fun for 20-30 min open crysis in windowed mode and have it take up all you rram so your computer shuts down all programs and then try to switch it back to full screen without a re install lol took me a wile
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
February 26, 2011 3:38:49 PM

cburke82 said:
Im gaming at the one just under that (1760x1000?), for some reason when I set my res to 1920x1080 i loose the top and left edeges of my screen :heink:  Im with you on over clocking for the value the problem is right now I have a *** mobo that is locked and so I cant OC no matter what CPU i use. But I should at least get 3-4 FPS from an OC GPU and thats based on benchmarks from here and other sites. So I said that because I OC'ed my GPU and got the exact same fps in crysis. So what I have decided is 35-40 FPS with 4xAA in crysis is good for me now lol Later as games get more demanding ill upgrade my mobo and processor at the same time and go crossfire 6870's I think that should be a good set up for some time lol maybe ill work on that next year? not sure.

Side note how long do you think a crossfire 6870 and I dont know say Phenom II X6 system will be able to run most games at max res?

Bold quote: You have to go into the CCC and get into "My Digital Flat Panels" -> "Scaling Options". If you don't see that, switch to "Advanced View". You can play with it to adjust those missing edges (don't know why, but it's different from TV vendor to another where they put the "edges"). Or check out the "size" options on your LCD; it also has options like "Full Screen", "Overscan"/"Zoom", "Horizontal Fit", etc.

The rest: It's not that the MoBo doesn't let you, sometimes it's just about design. Some MoBos get a 95W mark for the processors they support. Normally, enthusiast MoBos have a 125W and even 140W mark for CPUs. So, sometimes, even getting a Phenom II X6 might not be possible because of that restriction. Even more, some MoBos can't handle a Phenom II 965 nor 955 at stock clocks because of that.

Can you tell me the exact model of your MoBo before thinking about getting another CPU? Don't want to shoot yourself in the foot there I'll assume.

Oh, and OC'ing video cards don't work out the way OC'ing a CPU works (in terms of benefit per Mhz). Like you said, OC'ing a video card can get you like 5FPS more on some games, while risking the warranty and making it use a lot more power (thus making it way hotter). So I'm not a big fan of telling people "go ahead and just OC your video card like mad".

Cheers!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 27, 2011 1:11:10 AM

Yuka said:
Bold quote: You have to go into the CCC and get into "My Digital Flat Panels" -> "Scaling Options". If you don't see that, switch to "Advanced View". You can play with it to adjust those missing edges (don't know why, but it's different from TV vendor to another where they put the "edges"). Or check out the "size" options on your LCD; it also has options like "Full Screen", "Overscan"/"Zoom", "Horizontal Fit", etc.

The rest: It's not that the MoBo doesn't let you, sometimes it's just about design. Some MoBos get a 95W mark for the processors they support. Normally, enthusiast MoBos have a 125W and even 140W mark for CPUs. So, sometimes, even getting a Phenom II X6 might not be possible because of that restriction. Even more, some MoBos can't handle a Phenom II 965 nor 955 at stock clocks because of that.

Can you tell me the exact model of your MoBo before thinking about getting another CPU? Don't want to shoot yourself in the foot there I'll assume.

Oh, and OC'ing video cards don't work out the way OC'ing a CPU works (in terms of benefit per Mhz). Like you said, OC'ing a video card can get you like 5FPS more on some games, while risking the warranty and making it use a lot more power (thus making it way hotter). So I'm not a big fan of telling people "go ahead and just OC your video card like mad".

Cheers!

I wish I could tell you the make of my mobo. I purchased a pre made Lenovo and when I run cpu-z and system info they tell me its a tilapia mobo. And I cant find any info on the web about it other than its from lenovo lol. So thats why ill just keep this setup for a wile then later ill get a new mobo and cpu at the same time. Then i can do an OC and what not also will know the cpu i buy will work. like you said dont want to purchase a cpu and not have it work.
m
l
a c 171 U Graphics card
a c 82 à CPUs
February 27, 2011 9:01:57 AM

6870's dont overclock well, i wouldnt even bother you wont gain anything with your cpu anyway. Cant you potentially unlock cores on those cpu's? you need a motherboard that can do it though.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 28, 2011 4:58:10 PM

Ok so I have a question for you guys. As you can tell Im new at all of this so is there a difference between the Phenom II x4 chips based on Deneb other than clock speed. In other words is there an advantage to getting the 3.5mhz version over the 3.2mhz version. Or will they both OC to about the same speed? If i wasn't going to OC then I would just get the fastest one however if I consider OC then I might save some cash and get about the same performance that is if im correctly looking at the data.
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
February 28, 2011 5:04:46 PM

Their basicly all the same expect their clock speeds.Their all Deneb and their all the same technology.The only difference is that it's possible to unlock the 970 and 975 to 6 core proccesors.But they just came out like a month or 2 ago and i haven't heard of anyone unlocking them yet.

They all use the same voltage so i would think the highest O.C. would be the same for each.You can get about a 300-400mhz bump using the same stock voltage so i'm guessing thats what they did with the 970 and 975.
m
l
February 28, 2011 5:09:23 PM

All of the Phenom II X4s are pretty much the same; if you have a good motherboard go with the cheapest one and overclock it with a Hyper 212.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 28, 2011 9:38:10 PM

So anybody think the 955 will go down in price after the bulldozer CPU's come out? Im thinking if i wait until then I might be able to get a mobo that has the ability to accept the 955 and the new bulldozer cpu. So then if the price where to drop closer to $100-120 Id get the 955 and still have the possibility to upgrade to the new bulldozer in the future. Does that sound like something that could realistically happen lol?
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
February 28, 2011 9:43:44 PM

I think the AM3/AM3+ boards won't come out for some time,maybe in the fall.They usally try to move forward first before moving backwards.But on your price comment,no i do not think that the prices will go down for the phenom ii x4's.Bulldozer is only 6 core and 8 cores processors.Bobcat is their other line of processors that will feature 4 cores and lower.They will release the high performance processors first and then release the entry level processors after.

Just do what i'm going to do.I'm to buy this mobo soon,then if i have enough money when bulldozer comes out i'll get one of those chips.If i don't the prices will drop for the old 6 core Thuban proccessors and i'll just get one of those.The board i'm about to get is labeled to support AM3+ but AMD said that their new chips will not be backwards compatible with the old chips.I have been told that with a simple BIOS update that it will be able to support Bulldozer.If it doesn't i'm sure MSI will send a new Bulldozer complaint mobo.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 28, 2011 10:35:34 PM

purple stank said:
I think the AM3/AM3+ boards won't come out for some time,maybe in the fall.They usally try to move forward first before moving backwards.But on your price comment,no i do not think that the prices will go down for the phenom ii x4's.Bulldozer is only 6 core and 8 cores processors.Bobcat is their other line of processors that will feature 4 cores and lower.They will release the high performance processors first and then release the entry level processors after.

Just do what i'm going to do.I'm to buy this mobo soon,then if i have enough money when bulldozer comes out i'll get one of those chips.If i don't the prices will drop for the old 6 core Thuban proccessors and i'll just get one of those.The board i'm about to get is labeled to support AM3+ but AMD said that their new chips will not be backwards compatible with the old chips.I have been told that with a simple BIOS update that it will be able to support Bulldozer.If it doesn't i'm sure MSI will send a new Bulldozer complaint mobo.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

yeah that sounds good. Where do you see AM3+ i didnt see it on the spec sheet. Also do you know what mode that mobo does crossfire? I know some do 16x+8X and some do full 16x+16x. I dont know how much difference if any you would see performance wise but it sounds important lol.
m
l
February 28, 2011 10:39:49 PM

Don't expect anything great from AM3+; it's a future product and we can speculate on it all we want but won't really know what it actually gives us until it comes out.

Get the 955 for now and hopefully it'll work for the AM3+; even if it doesn't it'll give you a huge boost in performance.
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
February 28, 2011 10:48:24 PM

http://img718.imageshack.us/i/msim.jpg/sr=1

It's printed onto the mobo right below the processor socket and right above the NB heatsink.

I can't find anything with info about how fast each slot is.I have no doubt that their both running at x16 because it's a top of the line board.The other model GD-70 runs x4 lanes with the first 2 running at x16 and the bottom 2 running at x8.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 28, 2011 10:57:29 PM

purple stank said:
http://img718.imageshack.us/i/msim.jpg/sr=1

It's printed onto the mobo right below the processor socket and right above the NB heatsink.

I can't find anything with info about how fast each slot is.I have no doubt that their both running at x16 because it's a top of the line board.The other model GD-70 runs x4 lanes with the first 2 running at x16 and the bottom 2 running at x8.

Just read some reviews on newegg. Your right they are both 16x :o  There does seem to be some BIOS issues right now problems with the usb not allowing windows to boot and I read a few that state when you crossfire the bios forces 8x :??:  good news is im not buying it tomorrow so by the time I am really looking for a mobo they should have the kinks worked out (i hope)
m
l
February 28, 2011 10:59:02 PM

There is no difference between 8x and 16x.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 28, 2011 11:12:45 PM

minitron815 said:
There is no difference between 8x and 16x.

Im no expert but there is a bandwidth difference isnt there?
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
February 28, 2011 11:15:26 PM

Theirs not a huge difference but their is a difference.
m
l
February 28, 2011 11:15:28 PM

Obviously there's twice the bandwidth in 16x compared to 8x but 8x is more than sufficient for any video card currently.

Think of a river; if it's already wide enough for boats to go down why do you need to widen it.
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
February 28, 2011 11:17:29 PM

To make way for Cruise Ships!!!!!!!!!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 1, 2011 3:53:42 AM

ok so playing a game like crysis on a pc i threw together for about $650 i ubderstand im not going to get 100 FPS max settings.......Just not I was on the last boss on crysis and it became very un playable. So I had to change the settings to 1280-720 zero AA and all setting med. After I beet this guy my screen locks up and I have to quit the game the sys moniter says im at 98% mem usage.....I have 6gb of 1333 DDR3 ram is that not a good ammount. I can play the rest of the gam maxed out just on this last guy everything goes to crap. Is there something wrong with my system? And could someone sugest some tests to see what might be wrong? I think with a 6870 I should have 0 problems at med settings at that res
m
l
!