Sign in with
Your question

5870 crossfire compatibility

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 23, 2011 9:19:55 PM

I have a original powercolor 5870 LCS bought in 2009. I recently purchased another 5870 V2 purchased in 2011. When I run them in crossfire I get artifacting. When I run the cards seperate I don't. The reason why I put the BIOS specs is because I do eventually want to try to OC these cards to get better proformance. I also read somewhere on toms hardware that I could update the BIOS to get a better OC. Powercolor said these cards would run in crossfire mode without a problem. Although they did say if I run into any problems I might want to update the BIOS. Bottom line I do not want any artifacting and was wondering if maybe a small increase in voltage would help anytihng or not.

both of theses cards are watercooled....

2009 card (PowerColor LCS AX5870 1GBD5-WMDH)
BIOS Version 012.011.000.006
BIOS Part Number 113-C00101-101

2011 card (PowerColor PCS+ AX5870 1GBD5-PPDHG2)
BIOS Version 012.020.000.001
BIOS Part Number 113-C00801-100

sorry for the book new here and not sure how to exactly explain my problem. please help thank you
a c 106 U Graphics card
February 23, 2011 9:51:45 PM

You should update the BIOS. I had to update the BIOS on my first 5870 as the fact that it was older than my newer one caused some issues. Both are gigabyte UD cards with the same PCB, but the newer one has a slight factory overclock. I was going to get the non-OC model for the second card, but for some reason the OC card was significantly cheaper :/ 
m
l
a c 106 U Graphics card
February 23, 2011 9:53:37 PM

Also, uninstall your drivers and then install new ones. That should fix the weirder artifacts with Crossfire.
m
l
Related resources
a c 128 U Graphics card
February 23, 2011 10:34:25 PM

^+1

megamanx00 offers a good first thing to try. It could be that simple. I had 3 5850s. Every time I added one to my system, I had to uninstall and reinstall the AMD drivers to get everything running correctly.

It takes 5 minutes and if it works, you won't have to worry about flashing the BIOS on your video card(s).
m
l
February 24, 2011 12:40:54 PM

Thank you for the quick replies. I will try these options out right now. Powercolor told me my model 5870 will not accept a new bios. There are a lot of people that have the exact same card and have had a good success rate flashing. Why would they tell me this? Im assuming there are threads on here about how to flash and using msi afterburner?
m
l
a c 128 U Graphics card
February 24, 2011 1:10:02 PM

AsusFTW84 said:
Thank you for the quick replies. I will try these options out right now. Powercolor told me my model 5870 will not accept a new bios. There are a lot of people that have the exact same card and have had a good success rate flashing. Why would they tell me this? Im assuming there are threads on here about how to flash and using msi afterburner?

If something were to go wrong, no manufacturer wants to responsible for telling you to flash the BIOS. That's probably why they would tell you it won't accept a new bios.

Let us know what works out for you. Not only was one of my cards a different brand and clock speed, but all of my 5850s ran with different BIOS versions. That's why I think the driver 'express uninstall'/re-install might be all you need.
m
l
February 24, 2011 3:54:53 PM

Reinstalled drives and control center. Sad to say that nothing has changed :( 
I guess I am going to take the risky route and flash bios. I was wondering if anyone has any links to a BIOS that will suit my original powercolor 5870? As looking on line there are to many sites that claim to have one, most are bound to be non reliable. Also should I flash both cards? (ubercake appreciate the input you have given already :)  ) O also the artifacting gets worse the more I push the cards clocks when they are in crossifre.(thought that might be a clue, maybe a little more voltage will help the old card out?)
m
l
March 1, 2011 5:26:59 PM

Just wanted to post a update. I was thinking that a little more voltage could solve my problems, and it did. I changed the stock voltage from 1.1 to 1.22 and it stopped the artifacting. I preceded to up the voltage to 1.256 to get a 1000/1280(Water cooled) OC on both of my 5870's. This is a stable OC and I am very pleased. Just wanted to say thank you to all those who responded and hopefully I can answer some questions of yours in the future.
m
l
a c 128 U Graphics card
March 1, 2011 5:36:01 PM

Glad you got it figured out. 5870s are great cards.
m
l
!