Sign in with
Your question

Building mini ITX - low budget

Last response: in Systems
April 30, 2011 5:23:01 PM

Hi fellas,

I'm currently thinking abount building up a mini ITX PC for general use - mostly office-stuff, some work, programming, matlab (nothing serious) and maybe some warcraft 3 games. I'm going for something very cost-efficient, with low power consumption - no laptop though ;) 

Pretty sure onboard gfx is more then enough for it - though I need 2 monitors for work and stuff - got a T240HD (24", DVI/HDMI) and an old 17" with VGA only.
Also - I'm planning a double-boot system with win7 and something like Fedora / Ubuntu / *insert another distro*, so it needs to not be blacklisted for Linux.

So - i was thinking whether someone could give me some advice on picking the appropriate parts etc.
Until now I've stumbled upon:

Mini-ITX Motherboard: Zotac GeForce 9300 ITX WiFi (LGA 775), which seems to be pretty good ... I'd been thinking of a Intel E6300 on it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131709&Tpk=ASUS%20P8H67-I%20DELUXE, with an Intel Core i3 on it.

Also I need a case - looks dont matter, the power supply does - what should I have my eyes on when picking one?
RAM and stuff like that is not much of a matter to me yet.

So - what do you guys think? Are those mobo's future-proof?

PS I'mma living in Germany, if it's of any meaning ;) 
April 30, 2011 5:33:05 PM

For this purpose I think you should be considering some fusion boards based off the dual core E350 like this one

ASRock E350M1
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Fusion is fairly new so I don't know how polished the Linux drivers are. Even so it has a powerful IGP which is what you need if you're doing any gaming, low power consumption, and enough CPU power for that tasks you have in mind. You can also look at VIA products, which are just fast enough for office tasks and have low power consumption, but kind suck performance wise compared to Intel Atom and AMD Fusion.
Related resources
April 30, 2011 6:15:38 PM

the differences that I can tell apart from price are that the Asrock does not include WIFI or Bluetooth adapters built in but both have SATA 3 and USB 3 plus UEFI

!