Crossfire support issue with Metro 2033 and most games.

I recently purchased two gigabyte 6850s and is now running them in crossfire mode. But for some reason crossfire mode works with certain games like BC2 with both cards running at their max performance, then on the other hand when I play some games like Metro 2033 and Bioshock one card would run at it's max settings while the other card will simply run at 300/300mhz. Is there any way to fix this issue?

It happens in other games as well, only a few will actually use both cards to it's fullest. Is there some sort of driver setting or something I need to configure? I'm stumped.

Here is a picture showing what I'm talking about. and no it's not going back to 300/300mhz because of 2D mode, the cards are always doing this no matter what I do for this game.http://img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/smilies/pfff.gif

10 answers Last reply
More about crossfire support issue metro 2033 games
  1. What version of CCC are you using? Just got a second 6870 and my rig now runs Metro 2033 like a dream even at max settings, both cards running swimmingly... I'm still running 11.1 though, and according to http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/309630-33-post-results , 11.2 has some CFX issues.
  2. wannaturnuptheheat said:
    What version of CCC are you using? Just got a second 6870 and my rig now runs Metro 2033 like a dream even at max settings, both cards running swimmingly... I'm still running 11.1 though, and according to http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/309630-33-post-results , 11.2 has some CFX issues.



    I'm using

    Driver Packaging Version 8.821-110126a-112962C-ATI
    Catalyst Version 11.2
    Provider ATI Technologies Inc.
    2D Driver Version 8.01.01.1123
    2D Driver File Path /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/CLASS/{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}/0000
    Direct3D Version 7.14.10.0812
    OpenGL Version 6.14.10.10524
    Catalyst Control Center Version 2011.0126.1749.31909


    So I'm guessing I'm using the bad 11.2 version :/ do you think that could be the case?
  3. darkbison said:
    I'm using

    Driver Packaging Version 8.821-110126a-112962C-ATI
    Catalyst Version 11.2
    Provider ATI Technologies Inc.
    2D Driver Version 8.01.01.1123
    2D Driver File Path /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/CLASS/{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}/0000
    Direct3D Version 7.14.10.0812
    OpenGL Version 6.14.10.10524
    Catalyst Control Center Version 2011.0126.1749.31909


    So I'm guessing I'm using the bad 11.2 version :/ do you think that could be the case?


    It's not that 11.2 is 'bad', it just focuses more on single-card performance than Crossfire. As that thread I linked to says, 11.2 seems to reduce Crossfire performance for some reason, while increasing single-card users' rigs.

    I recommend you fully uninstall 11.2 and try the 11.1A install. (top link). If you're unsure how to roll back graphics drivers, I would recommend you look around here or wait for someone a wee bit more knowledgeable than me, as I'm not quite sure of the 100% proper methodology myself.

    EDIT: Just to make sure, your second card performs at full capacity on other games, you said? Just want to make sure of that, because that would mean that your card isn't bad.
  4. wannaturnuptheheat said:
    It's not that 11.2 is 'bad', it just focuses more on single-card performance than Crossfire. As that thread I linked to says, 11.2 seems to reduce Crossfire performance for some reason, while increasing single-card users' rigs.

    I recommend you fully uninstall 11.2 and try the 11.1A install. (top link). If you're unsure how to roll back graphics drivers, I would recommend you look around here or wait for someone a wee bit more knowledgeable than me, as I'm not quite sure of the 100% proper methodology myself.

    EDIT: Just to make sure, your second card performs at full capacity on other games, you said? Just want to make sure of that, because that would mean that your card isn't bad.



    ok I will uninstall the drivers to the 11.2 ccc and install 11.1 ccc. Wish me luck I hope this works.


    and yeah some games work with both cards at full preadolescence and others just don't do anything hardly, but I have switched both cards around and tested each by them selves and both are operating correctly.
  5. darkbison said:
    ok I will uninstall the drivers to the 11.2 ccc and install 11.1 ccc. Wish me luck I hope this works.


    and yeah some games work with both cards at full preadolescence and others just don't do anything hardly, but I have switched both cards around and tested each by them selves and both are operating correctly.


    All right, then it is likely a driver issue. Make sure you post back here with what happens, if11.1 works better, etc. Good luck!
  6. wannaturnuptheheat said:
    All right, then it is likely a driver issue. Make sure you post back here with what happens, if11.1 works better, etc. Good luck!



    Hmm, it's strange I keep trying to put 11.1 on my system but it keeps saying it's 11.2? do you think the installer is connecting to the internet and is redownloading 11.2 ? I tried everything, I deleted folders and files by hand and everything, but it still seem to be reinstalling 11.2.


    any idea what could be going on?
  7. run a program called driversweeper, should remove all drivers
  8. Thanks for the tips you guys, I removed all the drivers and did put the 11.1 ccc on there, and it seems to be doing the same thing, I keep getting fps that are very low, low as if I was playing the game with one videocard, but I'm guessing it's like that due to no driver support to handle the ati cards well. I've tried everything, I can play the game on high settings in safe mode, but on normal mode of start up I still get low fps.

    I wish I know the command to start the game in safemode all the time. I only got into it a few times by mistake my self.
  9. Here is a video I made showing what I'm talking about. Look at the fps I lose when playing. I know for a fact I should have much more fps than that running in crossfire mode.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4L7spNA7_A
  10. ok I've gotten it to work for me now. I had to download the AMD 11.2 profile fix. So far it seems to be running fine for me. Thanks for all the help you guys :D


    If any one else have this issue go and download this from amd
    http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/crossfirex-app-profiles.aspx
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Games Crossfire Graphics