Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Can I clean install OEM Windows 7 over OEM Vista?

Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Windows 7
  • Clean Install
  • Windows Vista
  • OEM
Last response: in Windows 7
December 3, 2011 10:07:30 PM

Hello,

I am currently running an OEM version of windows vista ultimate 32 bit. I just bought an OEM version of windows 7 professional 64 bit. Will I be able to clean install and activate my new w7 even though I already have OEM vista installed on my motherboard?

In short, Can I install OEM over OEM?

More about : clean install oem windows oem vista

a b $ Windows 7
December 3, 2011 10:27:24 PM

A clean install usually means that there is no data on the drive you are using to install your OS on. Oem does not matter. If you want to upgrade from Vista 32 to win. 7 64 then you can't do that , when you upgrade it is 32 bit to 32 bit or 64 bit to 64 bit , so you want to format the drive and do a clean install. Do you have the Vista cd ? Did you buy the upgrade or the full version ?
Score
a b $ Windows 7
December 3, 2011 10:31:36 PM

No problem.

Do you really need pro?

If you get a home premium upgrade kit, it will cost less, and you will have a retail product that you can transfer.
Score
Related resources
December 3, 2011 10:36:15 PM

inzone said:
A clean install usually means that there is no data on the drive you are using to install your OS on. Oem does not matter. If you want to upgrade from Vista 32 to win. 7 64 then you can't do that , when you upgrade it is 32 bit to 32 bit or 64 bit to 64 bit , so you want to format the drive and do a clean install. Do you have the Vista cd ? Did you buy the upgrade or the full version ?

What I want to do is format the drive and install Windows 7 64 bit. I have the disc but it's OEM.
Score

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
December 3, 2011 10:40:41 PM

beauphos said:
What I want to do is format the drive and install Windows 7 64 bit. I have the disc but it's OEM.

No problem.

That is what OEM is intended to do. OEM means no MS support, and no transferability from the original motherboard.
When installing oem, boot from the dvd, and you will be invited to reformat the drive for a clean install so the old vista will be gone.
December 3, 2011 10:42:45 PM

Best answer selected by beauphos.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
December 3, 2011 10:43:12 PM

geofelt said:
No problem.

That is what OEM is intended to do. OEM means no MS support, and no transferability from the original motherboard.
When installing oem, boot from the dvd, and you will be invited to reformat the drive for a clean install so the old vista will be gone.

Hey Geofelt-
Would the OP not be able to import some things with Easy transfer regardless of 64 bit OS?
Score
a b $ Windows 7
December 3, 2011 10:52:57 PM

beauphos said:

Than u are good to go : )
Score
a b $ Windows 7
December 3, 2011 11:09:23 PM

buzznut said:
Hey Geofelt-
Would the OP not be able to import some things with Easy transfer regardless of 64 bit OS?

Yes, easy transfer will back up user files and settings to another drive, and they will be imported back properly.
I have done that. I did have a problem with e-mail files. Most user apps will need to be reinstalled.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
December 3, 2011 11:09:23 PM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr.
Score
!