Sign in with
Your question
Solved

When is the z77 roundup?

Last response: in Motherboards
April 12, 2012 8:23:51 PM

Hey Tom's! I don't mean to rush you, but I've been waiting to upgrade my 5yo rig until the z77's dropped and I'm getting antsy! I've even got a fresh 2600K waiting to be deployed. I could really use some advice on which z77 board you think is best, since I want this investment to take me at least another 5 yrs into the gaming future. My first instinct is to just go Asus, since that's what my current rig is built around, but your mobo comparison's tend to favor them less then half the time. Tell me which one to buy!
Forum comments / opinions welcome too, of course.

More about : z77 roundup

a b V Motherboard
April 12, 2012 9:07:15 PM

I think they are waiting for Ivy Bridge CPU to be released, too.

One thing I found out about the new PCI-e 3.0 is that ONLY Ivy Bridge CPUs support it!

What a marketing fraud! Pushing the Z68 chipset motherboards, with the new "Gen 3" label, when current CPU don't support it.

Yes, I know that Ivy Bridge will work in the current LGA1155 motherboards (i.e. Z68, P67, H67, etc.), but may not take full advantage of the Ivy Bridge capabilities.

Just my two cents worth.

P.S. I too looked into Z77 chipset motherboards, but not sold on them yet. Here is why:

1.) No added SATA ports; still 2 SATA III, and 4 SATA II. Any extra SATA III ports are from an add-on controller, like JMicron or Marvell, which s@ck.

2.) USB 3.0 will be native to the board (yea), but I don't have any USB 3.0 devices. I looked at getting an adapter for my Seagate GoFlex external hard drive, but haven't found them. I swear I saw them when I bought the thing last year. Besides, the devices I would "copy" what on the drive are not USB 3.0. Are there USB 3.0 iPOD yet? I know USB3 is backwards compatible, but I have no use for it. Yet.

3. I don't need, or even want, one of the extra things Asus has added to (some of) the Z77 motherboards: WiFi. I noticed that Bluetooth is not going on these boards, and I don't use mine, I disabled it in BIOS, and never installed the software for it. (I tried it, but saw no advantage with my smartphone. On my next install of Windows, I didn't even install the drivers.). I have a 4-port Wireless router, so why do I need WiFi on my PC? Hardwired is faster, way faster!

But I do like EUFI BIOS!

IF I were to get a Z77, it would be an Asus P8Z77-V. No Pro, no Deluxe, no LX.

But that's just me.

P.S.S. I'm usually not this negative.
m
l
April 12, 2012 9:31:07 PM

Yeah, I definitely feel the negativity with this release. I've just been waiting a while now, and even though Intel's CPU release following Ivy most likely won't be back-compat, I don't want to wait another year for whatever comes next.

I'm not too down about the Ivy-only support of PCI-e 3.0 since I plan to upgrade the board and mem, then drop in a Sandy CPU that was given to me and keep using my current SLI GPU config. I figure I'll up my CPU to Ivy whenever I can afford a new GPU(s).

Since I'm trying to build another gaming system that will last, I checked out the newegg video review of the Asus z77 sabertooth, and I have to say that I'm starting to lean in that direction. 5 yr warranty and all that...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHvE9hjaZ5c&feature=play...

The new platform may not be perfect, but if the Ivy CPUs are even a little better than the 2600K, then I think I can make it last. I feel like I'm bridging the gap pretty well by employing my old SLI cards for now (pair of EVGA 8800 GTs) I'll be able to get the z77 mobo plus a pair of 64gb SSDs for about $400, plus the recycled parts = job done. Thoughts?

foscooter said:
I think they are waiting for Ivy Bridge CPU to be released, too.

One thing I found out about the new PCI-e 3.0 is that ONLY Ivy Bridge CPUs support it!

What a marketing fraud! Pushing the Z68 chipset motherboards, with the new "Gen 3" label, when current CPU don't support it.

Yes, I know that Ivy Bridge will work in the current LGA1155 motherboards (i.e. Z68, P67, H67, etc.), but may not take full advantage of the Ivy Bridge capabilities.

Just my two cents worth.

P.S. I too looked into Z77 chipset motherboards, but not sold on them yet. Here is why:

1.) No added SATA ports; still 2 SATA III, and 4 SATA II. Any extra SATA III ports are from an add-on controller, like JMicron or Marvell, which s@ck.

2.) USB 3.0 will be native to the board (yea), but I don't have any USB 3.0 devices. I looked at getting an adapter for my Seagate GoFlex external hard drive, but haven't found them. I swear I saw them when I bought the thing last year. Besides, the devices I would "copy" what on the drive are not USB 3.0. Are there USB 3.0 iPOD yet? I know USB3 is backwards compatible, but I have no use for it. Yet.

3. I don't need, or even want, one of the extra things Asus has added to (some of) the Z77 motherboards: WiFi. I noticed that Bluetooth is not going on these boards, and I don't use mine, I disabled it in BIOS, and never installed the software for it. (I tried it, but saw no advantage with my smartphone. On my next install of Windows, I didn't even install the drivers.). I have a 4-port Wireless router, so why do I need WiFi on my PC? Hardwired is faster, way faster!

But I do like EUFI BIOS!

IF I were to get a Z77, it would be an Asus P8Z77-V. No Pro, no Deluxe, no LX.

But that's just me.

P.S.S. I'm usually not this negative.
m
l
Related resources
a c 75 V Motherboard
April 12, 2012 10:19:33 PM

Most of the "6" series boards will support the 3rd generation Intel® Core™ processors when they are released with a simple Bios update from the motherboard manufacturer. The only chipset that will not offer support for the 3rd generation Intel Core processors is the Q67 chipset. So if you have a "6" series chipset board check with the motherboard maker to see if they have the new Bios (I think we released the updated Bios to them in Dec.). It is important to note that some features of the newer processors may not work on all boards.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
m
l
April 12, 2012 10:30:20 PM

I was hoping the z77's might have done away with the USB 2.0, sata 2 and PCIe 2.0 and make the switch over to all gen 3 since they're backwards compatible. Any thoughts on when that might happen Mr. Christian Wood from the Intel Enthusiast Team?

z77 Motherboard Discussion
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/308058-30-motherboard...
m
l
April 13, 2012 7:13:10 PM

I was also sad to see the inclusion of 2nd gen connectivity... don't really see the point. It also creates an additional issue for my build plans, since I was considering adding a basket of drives to this new build, to potentially function as a media server in addition to gaming. But... since even the best z77s have 4 Sata2 and 4 Sata3 ports, that means that the pinnacle of the integrated RAID functionality would be a 4 disk array.

What's the point of 8 ports if you can only use half of them (at most) for each disk appliance you create? I'm all for packing boards full of separate/dedicated controllers if it's for an actual purpose, i.e. increased throughput due to the increase in channels per drive possible... but it doesn't seem like that's what they had in mind. Is there a board out there that I'm overlooking?

2081831,5,750790 said:
I was hoping the z77's might have done away with the USB 2.0, sata 2 and PCIe 2.0 and make the switch over to all gen 3 since they're backwards compatible.
m
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
April 13, 2012 7:30:26 PM

The X79 chipseet is suppose to support more SATA ports, but manufatures haven't done it yet.

And if they don't support more than 2 SATA III ports, what's the use. (I know it would be overkill, but a 4 SATA III SSD RAID 0 array would be nice to play with. Even though my current thoughts are to go with a single large SSD, and part with RAID.)
April 23, 2012 1:03:16 PM

Best answer selected by davectech.
m
l
!