Adding after-market RAM

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
May 8, 2005 2:22:03 AM

Is this an easy task to accomplish? Would you recommend bringing it to
a certified technician to do? Does it invalidate warranty?

I'm thinking about getting a T-42 Thinkpad, and putting in some extra
RAM on my own. Advice is greatly appreciated.

More about : adding market ram

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 8, 2005 2:43:57 AM

"BCeizure" <bceezy25@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Is this an easy task to accomplish? Would you recommend bringing it to
> a certified technician to do? Does it invalidate warranty?
>
> I'm thinking about getting a T-42 Thinkpad, and putting in some extra
> RAM on my own. Advice is greatly appreciated.

In most cases it's easy. I've upgraded the RAM in a dozen or so systems,
ranging from full size laptops to funky pen computers, and none of them have
been a challenge.

In nearly all cases there's a small hatch on the bottom of the unit, held in
with one or two screws. Take off the hatch, and you'll see your RAM, held
in by a clip or two. Fiddle with them GENTLY (most need to be spread apart)
and the RAM will slide out. Do the reverse to install the upgrade.

If there is no easily removed hatch, you might very well void your warranty.
Some oddball laptops require the removal of the keyboard. Best let someone
else do it in that case.

If your really lucky, whatever store you buy the RAM from will let you bring
in the laptop and install it right there, ensuring compatibility. Sometimes
I've had to try a couple different sets to find one that worked.

Word of warning, if you have ANY trouble getting the old RAM out, STOP! You
don't want to risk breaking something. Even a little clip can cost a whole
lot to repair, likely much more than the laptop is worth. In this case you
are FAR better sending it to a shop.

I doubt you'll have a problem, as this is pretty straightforward. Same goes
for a hard drive upgrade.

Pagan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 8, 2005 3:21:31 AM

"BCeizure" <bceezy25@yahoo.com> writes:
> Is this an easy task to accomplish?

Yes, if you can operate a screwdriver.

> Would you recommend bringing it to a certified technician to do?

Only if you can't operate a screwdriver.

> Does it invalidate warranty?

No.

> I'm thinking about getting a T-42 Thinkpad, and putting in some extra
> RAM on my own. Advice is greatly appreciated.

If you buy new memory, it will usually come with instructions. You
just unscrew the little access door on the bottom of the machine,
firmly seat the memory stick into the empty slot, press down til it
snaps into place, and put the cover back on.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 8, 2005 5:05:59 PM

BCeizure wrote:
> Is this an easy task to accomplish? Would you recommend bringing it
> to a certified technician to do? Does it invalidate warranty?
>
> I'm thinking about getting a T-42 Thinkpad, and putting in some extra
> RAM on my own. Advice is greatly appreciated.

For a T42? Easy, watch the movie:
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?...

Regards,

James