Dirt cheap Mom 'n' Pop system

Atotalnoob

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
Hey guys, looking to get a new system for my parents (they keep calling me saying that it is moving really slow, and demand I fix it, and when I say I can't fix old hardware they get mad and say I thought you were good at computers.. )

So, I am thinking of something that is just plain and simple... Will need OS too, they hate Vista, and will probably want 7...
I COULD steal the old HDD out of their computer, (it is like 200 gigs, and 5400RPM) but I think a new 500 gig HDD will work.

No gaming is really done, other then I occasionally steal it for a LAN party... so playing Warcraft 3 and BF2 is a must... XD

I was thinking along the lines of:
i3-2100
Rosewill DESTROYER
4 gigs of G.skill ram, been a while, someone point out the exact type...
450 watt PSU
500 gig Spinpoint F3...

Atotalnoob

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
I don't know why everyone hates Vista, best OS I ever had and I've had them all since Windows 95.
Love it too, you could actually do things without GUI getting in the way... =D

That is 259.96$ All I need from there is a case and HDD
The 500 gig Spinpoint is deactivated... Any other suggestions for 500 Gig HDD?

Is windows still doing that discount for students?

It's not 80+ certified dude, it says "UP TO 80% EFFICIENCY", that is not 80+ certified.

Only the CX400 is 80+ certified. None of the other CX series are certified.

Second of all, it's got a weak warranty.

By the way there are 92% efficient psu's out , so no, up to 80% (not certified) is crap efficiency.

Not to mention if you don't get the rebate, it isn't such a good deal at all.

I did my research on Corsair's website, even they tell you it's not 80+ certified. That's great some dork from Brazil named Gabriel Torres gave it one, but some editor of a websites opinion is not a certification.

2yrs is weak considering everyone else gives you 3, 5, or 7yrs. Even OCZ's cheapest psu's give you 3yrs.

They are basically telling you it's not good enough for them to give it even their lowest 3yr warranty.

Do you read your own links before you post them??

The only reason we are giving our “Silver Award” instead of “Golden” is the efficiency a tiny bit below 80% when the unit is delivering its 430 W, but it is, still, a highly recommended unit for entry-level systems, especially when you put price into equation: this unit costs only USD 45 bucks and if you hurry you can get a USD 20 mail-in rebate card at Newegg.com, making it to actually cost only USD 25

That's why it fails certification.

I agree if you get the rebate, it's totally worth $25, but if you don't, the Antec is a better buy.