Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
Hello,
My new build
i7-2600k
ASUS P8 Z68-V PRO/GEN3
OCZ ZT series 550w modular PSU
radeon 6850 1 gb
16gb corsair vengeance ddr3 sdram (4x4) ddr3 1600 (pc3 128000)Desktop memory mod.
OCZ Octane 128 gb SSd (boot drive)
Sony Optiarc 24x DVD r/w
rosewill 74-in-one memory card reader
seagate 1 tb 7200rpm 32mb cache hdd
Windows 7 Pro

Just put it all together-issues on post didn't like ram, had to reset a number of times, made sure everything was properly plugged in, swapped out memory in slots until successful boot.
Bios shows only 8 of my 16 gb ram, so does windows experience index. Can find all memory specs if you individually select slots in bios, but not all are working.

Windows experience index shows all at 7.7 except CPU which is rated at 5.6.

CPU running at 35c with stock fan, removed stock thermal paste and applied artic sliver as per reccommendations of someone on this board, now i'm worried that if there's something wrong with it, I won't be able to return it.

Any suggestions, observations etc would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

I'm not sure how to test slots.

Just finished memtest which verifies there is a hardware problem...

Oh and i forgot to mention, CPU-Z (?) shows that my CPU has 1 core and 1 thread. I'm hoping to pull out the mobo tomorrow and check the pu for bent pins...unless the manufacturer damaged it, it should be fine though but if it is the problem (or one of the problems) I may be out $300. because of removing the stock thermal paste!

Positive thoughts and love and light to you and me.

Solution
bavman is right. I personally suspect you have a bad RAM module in the bunch. Try each of the 4 modules alone in a slot. And when you know you have a good module (one that boots the system), move that one module into each of the 4 slots.

The board may not be happy booting with one module in anything but the first slot, so that last test may be moot. But the first test (each module in the first slot) will iron out if you have a bad module - which I suspect. Somewhat common.

Visualiser

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
Yes, I did try, with all 4 sticks, it would not post.

I did try in A1 and B1, but I was too tired and would need to re-do it cause I got freaked out by the weird cycling of what some folks are calling "boot looping"...never getting to post, no beep just turning on momentarily, then shutting off then turing itself back on...then I'd have to reset the CMOS.

My first build, I have a hard time letting go of a problem until I get it right but I just don't have the tools or the technical expertise to troubleshoot whether this is CPU, Mobo, Ram, or a combination.

I'm thinking I'll go ahead and RMA the ram though, I would get a different brand (from ASUS' approved list, but I think Newegg will only replace it with the same thing.

Hey thanks for your reply! Oh and yes, if it is safe to put a single stick in any slot, that is also on my to-do list for tommorrow. I need suggestions like that, because those are details that I'm leary of, and ASUS doesn't give any insight in the manual-Just a single illustration of a single hand putting a single stick og ram in a single slot. :cry:

psaus

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
bavman is right. I personally suspect you have a bad RAM module in the bunch. Try each of the 4 modules alone in a slot. And when you know you have a good module (one that boots the system), move that one module into each of the 4 slots.

The board may not be happy booting with one module in anything but the first slot, so that last test may be moot. But the first test (each module in the first slot) will iron out if you have a bad module - which I suspect. Somewhat common.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.