Computer Crashes While Playing Certain Games

caviconpoder

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
I've been having this problem for quite some time now. It doesn't happen with all my games only with a few. I start up a game such as Darksiders, or Borderlands and after a short time of playing, my monitors seems to go on stand by and the game audio start to loop. I can't get my computer to respond, or my monitor. I have to do a hard restart whenever I do this. I also get that audio loop when I am watching a movie or something like that but my computer doesn't crash. It just freezes while the audio loops, a few seconds and it's done.

I've already updated my drivers, rolled them back. Unplugged and replugged a new harddrive I got a while ago when this started. However, nothing seems to work

Here are my Computer Specs:

CPU: Core I5 750 2.67GHZ
Ram: 4 GB but I have windows 7 32bit so only 3.5 are usable.
Video Card: ATI Radeon 4870 1gb

Deadstick50

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
To much for the vid card to handle, maybe overheating it??
Are you running Overdrive on it? Maybe try to manually adjust the gpu fan speed up to 100%! If the temps are around 50c or less under load and its still crashing then I will agree with addison that the card is bad. Otherwise its a heat prob, what case and fans are you running this in??

caviconpoder

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
well It doesn't seem to be a heat issue. I can play Dragon Age 2, Portal 2 and other games without crashing, or having any issues. It's only certain games that actually cause my PC to freeze. Also, the freeze happens pretty quick, like I wouldn't think it'd be enough time for my video card to get that hot, like in a matter of seconds. Sometimes even at the menu screen.

My case is a Rosewill Conqueror. It has two front intake fans and 1 exhaust fan in the back.

The card runs some demanding games just fine, so there are a few things it could be. The audio looping makes me think it may not be the video card. Did you also update your audio drivers? Try one of the problem games with the sound options in the game turned way down or off. Like JackN said, did you look in your PC's Event Log, and have you run any other stress tests?

caviconpoder

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
The only error that I can see is Event ID 3: Kernel-EventTracing. I tried playing with the sound turned off and it still happens. I have updated my sound drivers as well. I tried to run the OCCT tests but they didn't seem to show any problems.

sleuth_17

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
I have exactly the same problem.

sometimes I can play the game for 30min without problems, at other times it crashes after 30s. It doesn't matter how the settings are. I can play world of tanks just fine on highest settings, also Dragon Age origins, Rift and DOA2 work without any problems. The computer crashes though (exactly same symptoms as thread opener) when I try to play BF3 or AOE online.

I have no Idea where the problem could be .. all stress tests were fine :(