Cool Master Elite Case makes a repeated clicking noise in front..

japmax96

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
Just built this tower and when I go to turn it on It just clicks repeatedly. The noise is coming from the bottom front corner of the case next to the reset button. The computer will refuse to boot just blank screen.

I know for sure its not anything else but that. So anyone know why?

Comp spec basics:
AMD X3 450
2GB Ram
ATI 5770
650w
Micro Atx

japmax96

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
Also I did get those little wires called reset switch/ power LED/ HDD/ etc crossed up on the board the first time. because I thought I just color match it but I was totally wrong so did I fry the reset button or something?

Also when I hold the reset button the clicking goes away but when I let go it clicks again.

japmax96

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
LOL I'm trouble shooting this as I type ...

Update : I disconnected the Black/Yellow case plug called Speaker and the clicking goes away. So it was the speaker but still I get no screen it's still blank.

japmax96

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
Not getting any POST codes either I tried disconecting HDD, Video Card , but when I remove Ram I get a POST code for that, but when installed no codes.

So I have no idea why this MB isn't giving me a screen.

japmax96

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
I unplugged everything including the reset, pwr LED , and HDD . Only thing pluged in is the 24 pin and 12v for the board . I even removed the Ram Hard drive and DVD/CD Drive.

Absolutely no display even tried a different monitor nothing at all.. The fans on the CPU works but I can not seem to get any POST codes or anything. I think I just hit a dead end on this one unless you guys gotta any other ideas.

cmcghee358

Distinguished
I do. unplug the power switch, and plug only the reset button into the power switch input(basically seeing if the power switch is shorting) if that doesn't work we have a troubleshooting checklist to run

Just a quick question, you did install the motherboard stand-offs correct?

japmax96

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
OOk only plugged in the Re/Sw in the pw/sw nothing happens it wont turn on.

Stand Offs ?? dont think I did that.

EDIT: Oh yea I'm pretty sure it's installed correctly I hand tightened them and made sure to screw the board down snug. Are the screws that hold it down specific?

cmcghee358

Distinguished
Stand-offs are little brass things you screw into the case, to mount your motherboard to. This keeps the motherboard from making complete contact to the case, thereby shorting some areas. This very well could be your problem!

japmax96

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
So does that mean I only use four of the standoffs one on each corner ? Because I put two other ones in the lower middle part , should I remove those so it wont make contact with the case?

tulx

Distinguished
May 17, 2009

You should use standoffs for every standoff hole your motherboard has and ONLY those. Fill all holes and make sure there are no standoffs which don´t coresrpond to a hole.

cmcghee358

Distinguished
Also the 4 holes in the corner of your motherboard, are not for screws. They are just holes. The screw holes will have like raised edges around the screw holes that actually generate some friction with the lock mechanism of the screws

Nevermind, yours doesn't have the 4 holes most motherboards do, so all of your holes are in fact mounting screw holes.

japmax96

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010

Now come to find out the two screws that were missing were on the case holding the other side panel. Exactly two screw that I needed. lol WTF were the manufactures smoking. You guys know how these cases are sold all you have to do is un tighten by hand screws and slide the panel off when you first take it out of the packaging box.

Just to make sure these are the screws that screw into the boards mounting holes?

50640002.jpg

I tried those screws and it still wont boot. :( tried the reset switch plug into pwr switch still nothing happens.

The front case speaker continues to click over n over.

japmax96

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
SOLVED!

The CPU wasnt seated correctly. :pt1cable:

Sorry for wasting you guys time lol I swear I thought I had that thing in correctly. But I learned some new things that's always good.

Thanks!