[Motherboards] PC won't boot with RAM in Channel A

Apr 12, 2012
My board is a gigabyte ga-z68xp-ud3. It's a brand new build. I'm currently breadboarding and it won't boot if any RAM is present at all in Channel A ( the marked channel here: http://i.imgur.com/Zq374.jpg).

Both sticks won't work in Channel A (above) but either or both sticks will work in Channel B, and the system will boot. Is this simply a faulty motherboard?

Thanks a bunch.

Kind regards.

psaus

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
gaurav_88 is probably right.
trying to get this to work without an RMA, take one module and install it in a slot in channel A. Double/triple checking the module is installed well. Sometimes the module looks like it's clicked into place, but it's actually not.
Using one module at a time, you should be able to isolate the bad socket (very rare to have 2 bad sockets).
But if you can get a single stick to work in both sockets on channel A, you have something else going on that needs troubleshooting.

Apr 12, 2012
Yep, I've built before and know how sturdy RAM modules can be to install sometimes. I tried every combination possible and channel A is buggered.

I sent the board back. It seems like a problem prevalent in gigabyte boards, as I've found out searching the net. Thanks anyway.