Dragon Age 2 DEMO issues

Pc Guru_07

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011
Guys i have just downloaded the Dragon Age 2 demo.i would like to ask is there is something wrong with the Dx11 version of the game.Becoz i am getting bad performance and stuttering while the dx9 version runs super smooth.Also i haven't seen any graphical difference between Dx9 and dx11. I use 5850.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
It's kind of obvious you'll be getting better performance in DX9 mode compared to DX11 mode. DX9 mode is older technology that your relatively newer 5850 will run fine. DX11 mode is the latest tech that your card can handle, but it's more taxing since it does more things, reducing the FPS output to your screen.

If it's bothering you that much, wipe the drivers off your 5850 and re-install a fresh set of the latest ones. Also be sure to download the latest application profiles, it could just be that AMD has not yet brought out an optimised set of application profiles for Dragon Age 2 since it's only a demo, you may see different results in the real thing.

i heard about this performance hit in dx11 as well on another site. the game run fine under dx9 but it will eat your frame rate a lot in dx11. they said in some area the FPS will drop below 10 though i don't know what card they use when running the game :p . but griffolion could be right about we might see better performance in dx11 mode when the real thing hit the market :D

Pc Guru_07

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011

You are right dx11 version is dodgy in this game.There is even a sticky in bioware websites which says dx11 has performance issues.I just found that website.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/Dragon-Age-II/Dragon-Age-II-Demo-Technical-Support/PC-DirectX-11-is-not-supported-in-the-demo-6151799-1.html

Pc Guru_07

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011

i get the same.Go further inside and frame rate will drop more.Demo only allows high setting.Very high is blocked in dx 11 mode.How much you are getting in Dx9 mode?I get bad stuttering in dx11 mode while dx 9 is silky smooth.