Z77 compatibility with 2nd generation sandybridge processor

dead_sincebirth

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
hi,
this is a hot topic now a days as every one knews that Z77 gene motherboards are unleashed in the market , and these mobos are officialy desighned to support Intel Ivybridge processors many gamers which wanted a repacement for there old mobos have 2nd generation processors so will these processors will be compatible with Z77 chipset
thanks

For 'gaming' IMO people will be fools to dump their 2nd generation Sandy Bridge for 3rd generation Ivy Bridge. The big plus for Z77 MOBO is Virtu MVP. The new Virtu allows Quick Sync to work no matter where the monitor is connected and with some games the 'parallel processing' iGPU + discrete GPU(s).

BTW - All of the IB OC's I've seen show horribly high temps.

Nice review of OC and the Z77, one of many @ TweakTown with Z77 + IB - http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4663/asrock_z77_extreme6_intel_z77_with_ivy_bridge_motherboard_review/index.html

Nice review with Virtu (Vsync) - http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/z77-express-virtu-mvp-benchmark,3174-9.html

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

Yes, the Z77 chipset is compatible with 2nd generation Core i5 and i7 processors (Sandy Bridge).

dead_sincebirth

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011

do u think that a BIOS update will be necessary for a Z77 chipset powered motherboard when some has to use it with an " Ivy Bridge " processor or the same old BIOS will be sufficent for the compatibility ??? :hello:

Apparantly not, but why not wait for more reviews? You won't want to pay a premium for the new cpu anyway (at least I wouldn't), so waiting a few more days could save you some serious money. Sometimes newegg is the only vender carrying the new cpus; they may only have the high end ivy bridge cpus in the beginning, and get the affordable models later.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

The Z77 based motherboards support both Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge "out of the box". There is no bios update needed to support either.