Replace my HTPC or Gaming PC? Or merge both?

contentedbloke

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
I have a PC which I'm currently using as a HTPC running XBMC. The specs are as follows:

Intel Q6600 quad core processor
Gigabyte GA-EG45M-UD2H motherboard
Seagate 2 TB Hard drive
ATI HD 5850 card
3 GB DDR2 RAM
Windows 7
Logitech MK 250 wireless keyboard and mouse

I was using this system for gaming and then decided to connect this to my home theater through HDMI (on the ATI card) and started using it as a full fledged gaming system.

Now, I'm miss playing my games and want to start again. What prevents me from using my current system is that there is always a lag in the wireless keyboard and mouse which makes it unsuitable for any kind of gaming. I believe this is because of the auto-off functionality of the keyboard/mouse feature of Logitech. And the system is too far away placed to use a wired keyboard/mouse. Plus I only have couches and do not have a desk on which I can place my keyboard/mouse to play games (which is a must for playing Call of Duty or Warhammer games).

1. Can you suggest some other way of using this PC for playing games? Possibly a better wireless keyboard / mouse which will not have lag?

2. Or should I build a separate HTPC using an i3 sandy bridge and H55 chipset and use the above system for my gaming?

3. Or should I buy a ATI 5450 card and use it with the above system and instead build a i5 sandy bridge system for my gaming PC which will utilize my current ATI 5850 card?

Much appreciate any suggestions.

contentedbloke

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009

So what mouse are you using at present to play games?

TRENDING THREADS