Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Gutting old rig, need advice on new parts

Last response: in Systems
May 1, 2011 4:46:00 AM

Hello all, 2 years ago you helped me build my current rig... I'm pretty sure the video card and hard drive are trashed so I'm gutting it and starting fresh. Would appreciate some comments. Thanks so much.

i5 2500k intel processor 179.99 @ Microcenter
MSI GeForce GTX560 1 GB 249.99 @ amazon
samsung 1tb Spinpoint HD 54.99 @ newegg
Corsair HX Series 750w power supply 139.99
memory 84.99 gskill ripjaws x series 8gb 2x4gb @ newegg
Asrock Extreme4 P67 motherboard 159.99 @ newegg

Beyond that, I guess the only thing I'm keeping is the CD drive. I got most of the parts from a THW poster's web site (http://www.squidoo.com/electronicandmore#module14669582...) and I think the only thing that's different is the power supply.

I'm using it mainly for WoW and Adobe design programs like InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator. Thanks all!

I wanted to add that the case was dusty as hell and I've tried to clean it with canned air the best I can but I don't know what to do to get it really clean. Any suggestions?
a c 91 B Homebuilt system
May 1, 2011 5:02:18 AM

Haha, Thanks you referred to my guide.
Well uhh, I'd suggest switching that Corsair for a cheaper option. The XFX 750 is 10$ for the same performance.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
It's currently out of stock, but when it comes back in stock it'll be good to go.

As for cleaning it, I actually don't know. You could try taking those portable vacuums, the ones you can detach the heads off and just try sucking the dust out with it. I'm actually serious about this suggestion.
m
l
May 1, 2011 5:12:46 AM

There you are! Thanks for putting those together, Azn. I'm freaked out to spend that much money, but I want something that will last and I want something that is fast. I'm tired of my computers lagging when multitasking or getting lag in game.

I'm wanting to get this rig up and running asap so I want to get a psu that's in stock now. I was going to pick up my processor at Microcenter, as it's a lot cheaper than anywhere else I've found, and I can pick it up instore at the central Chicago location. Maybe there's a PSU there. I'm currently running a 2 year old Ocz 700w PSU. You think I can reuse it? The reason I liked the PSU I listed was it was modular and I hate having all these extra cords taking up space. Perhaps I don't have that luxury atm as I'm unemployed :(  What do you think?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

May 1, 2011 5:27:53 AM

Yeah no problem. Uhhh this computer will last a long time. I'd say at least 3-4 years. My 5850+955 has lasted 2 years so you know. The Consoles are still holding the PC's back, and Blizzard games typically aren't too demanding. An example is SC2 which is easily playable with a dual-core and a 9600 GT.

As for the PSU the OCZ will do just fine. You can just re-use it. My Silent Pro 700w has been running fine for 2 years, so I'm sure your OCZ will be fine as well. It's 80+ isn't it?
May 1, 2011 5:33:57 AM

Not sure if it's 80+. Would that be listed on the back of it? Too lazy to take it apart again, but I figure if it's an issue, I can always buy a new one down the line. The PSU definitely wasn't part of the problem.

Good to know it'll last a while! I keep hearing that wow isn't too taxing, but I do want a fast machine so I can multitask with Adobe programs. In any case, thanks again. I am gonna try to get my order in tonight.
m
l
May 1, 2011 5:50:39 AM

Well if it is modular I'm pretty sure that OCZ PSU is 80+ certified. WoW isn't TOO taxing but as of Cataclysm if you play it on the highest settings then it is somewhat taxing. As for the 2500K yeah it's a solid chip that'll last you and multi-task well.
m
l
May 1, 2011 1:43:05 PM

Cross fire a xfx ati 6870.
m
l
May 1, 2011 6:41:05 PM

^ What kind of suggestion is that?
m
l
May 1, 2011 6:58:33 PM

aznshinobi said:
^ What kind of suggestion is that?

ROFL for serious!

Getting back to the power supply, I think I mentioned this already but it's not modular. That's why I wanted to replace it but once I got to spending the money, I thought it would be dumb to replace a 2 year old power supply.

Went through 2 cans of air. It looks better inside, fans still have dust but not like before. Gonna be more careful about cleaning every few months this time around. Thanks again for all your help, I'll post when it's completed, prob Wed night.
m
l
May 1, 2011 7:01:47 PM

Best answer selected by chuy68.
m
l
May 1, 2011 11:04:05 PM

Alright good luck! Oh it's not modular, OH it's the OCZ StealthStream I believe. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
It is 80+ certified so it's pretty decent, but again it has aged, and that means the efficiency may not be up to the par that it was when you bought it. Still the PSU would be good enough for a single GPU system and OC'd chip.
m
l
May 7, 2011 8:34:36 PM

So I wanted to say thanks for your help again. I have put the new parts in and it's running great. Also added my old hard drive as extra storage so I feel like the computer is good.

Not as fast as I thought it would be though... 8gb ram and a better card... I would have expected better. I've never OC'd but I wondering if I'm missing something.
m
l
May 7, 2011 11:22:36 PM

Yeah, in reality some upgrades aren't visable till you hit the options or the heavy processing things. (Panorama stitching) Photoshop can be handled with a decent system currently, as said, my 955+4GB of ram handle it just fine.

The OC will give you a huge boost in performance though, aiming for 4ghz is a good mark, gives a heft performance boost.
m
l
May 8, 2011 7:56:24 PM

aznshinobi said:
Yeah, in reality some upgrades aren't visable till you hit the options or the heavy processing things. (Panorama stitching) Photoshop can be handled with a decent system currently, as said, my 955+4GB of ram handle it just fine.

The OC will give you a huge boost in performance though, aiming for 4ghz is a good mark, gives a heft performance boost.

Any guides to OCing? And any guide to temps? My CPU and MB are at 27c/24c... around 80/75 F. What's too high?
m
l
!