Sign in with
Your question

Family PC by day, HTPC by night

Last response: in Systems
May 1, 2011 6:22:24 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: 1 - 1.5 weeks from now

Budget Range: $600-800. $800 is the ceiling before rebates as well.

System Usage from Most to Least Important:
Browsing internet (including HD videos on youtube and netflix), watching HD video on a connected 46in LCD TV (possibly Blu-ray), being left on to download/preload often (slow internet connection for now), backing up family photos/videos

Parts Not Required: USB Keyboard/mouse, DVI/VGA monitor, speakers, OS, IDE DVD drive (in case Blu-ray drive not factored in)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com, amazon.com (I have a Prime account)

Country of Origin: United States

Parts Preferences: Intel CPUs, but I am not opposed to AMD if there is a good reason

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: Monitor can do 1680 x 1050, TV can do 1080p

Additional Comments: Need to build a family-use PC with a little extra oomph to performance. It needs to look good showing HD video content, outputting to a TV and monitor, and running Windows 7. Needs to last 4+ years, though this assumes I can bump the RAM, CPU and video on it later down the line (as it gets cheaper). It would be very nice if the system takes even a little consideration in the noise and power departments. A Blu-ray drive would also be a cherry on top.

You would be of biggest help in suggesting CPUs, motherboards, videocards (in case onboard is not good enough) and attractive small cases. Thanks!

More about : family day htpc night

!