Sign in with
Your question

I need a very very cheap video card...

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 24, 2011 4:05:07 AM

I am building a system for my dad so he can use it for work. It will be an intel with a core 2 duo and lga 775 chipset. sinse its just for work, he will be doing nothing more than using the internet and using Microsoft Office. (plus this other program which doesn't use many resources at all). I would use the onboard video, but im afraid that it will still be noticably slow. (I forgot too mention, 4gb ddr2 ram is in the system). I want to put a really low end card in it. I just want to have a dedicated card in the system, instead of the onboard card bottlenecking the system.

Any Ideas? I've never actually looked for a really low end card before. I'm talking 256mb GDDR2.

edit: Crap, srry, I posted this in the wrong forum... Admin, feel free too move.

More about : very cheap video card

a b U Graphics card
February 24, 2011 1:48:32 PM

This topic has been moved from the section Overclocking to section Graphics & Displays by Saint19
m
l
February 24, 2011 2:47:04 PM

Honestly, an integrated card wouldn't be bottlenecking his system. The only reason he would need a dedicated GPU would be for gamed or high-definition videos, which many modern integrated graphics solutions can handle nowadays anyways.

If, however, you need one because the mobo you chose doesn't have integrated graphics, or if you still think he needs a dedicated card, then I found a 256MB Zotac GeForce 8400GS at MicroCenter.com for $29.99, which drops to $9.99 after rebate (I actually bought this for when I had send in my main graphics card for repairs), and there's a 512MB Galaxy GeForce 210 on NewEgg.com for $34.99, which drops to $14.99 after rebate.

EDIT: In case you're wondering, I used the 8400GS for about a week and a half while I was without my main card, and I did a LOT of internet surfing, Microsoft Office, and some HD movies and never had any issues. So if you still feel like you need a dedicated card, I would just go with the cheapest one you can find.

EDIT2: Also, if you find several different cards for the same price and you're just wondering which is better, you can use the Hierarchy Chart from the latest "Best Graphics Cards for the Money" article. Last one they posted is here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-6950-1gb-...
m
l
Related resources
a c 173 U Graphics card
February 24, 2011 3:13:15 PM

Yea a junky 8400gs will be fine even a 6200 will fair as well.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 24, 2011 3:51:58 PM

Find an ATI 4550 which is cheap and actually quite good and can run on 220W psu's.
m
l
February 24, 2011 4:51:15 PM

bikeracer4487 said:
That may be the best card for the money, but I still think that's overkill for the intended use of this system.

but what more he wants,if he can have it for so much less money.by the way.hd 5450 cant be an overkill we all know its damn performance.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 24, 2011 5:50:14 PM

mrjericho1991 said:
but what more he wants,if he can have it for so much less money.by the way.hd 5450 cant be an overkill we all know its damn performance.

I agree it's a good pick..
I know this has no bearing on the OP's requirements gaming wise the 4550 is a slighty better gpu then a 5450 and usually cheaper.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2931
Either card would be fine and can found for about $30 on sale.
m
l
February 24, 2011 5:55:16 PM

he is not gaming!so no performance comparison.
m
l
February 24, 2011 6:02:12 PM

mrjericho1991 said:
he is not gaming!so no performance comparison.

Haha, exactly. So why a $40 GPU when a $10 GPU will do just fine?
m
l
February 24, 2011 6:17:51 PM

power consumption buddy and newer gpu!
m
l
!