Crossfire 5870 (2GB) with 5850 (1GB)

pinaklonkar

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2010
All,

This may be a quick question. I am sure there are more threads in the forum but did not particularly find the one with the configuration I am about to try.

I have one HIS HD 5850 (1GB) iCooler V card. If I add another Sapphire HD 5870 (2GB) card and crossfire them together, can someone give me a rough percentage increase in FPS in percentage of games? The games I typically tend to play -

a) Action Games similar to Call of Duty, Black Ops
b) MAFIA II, GTA etc. in third person strategy.
c) FIFA 11, Need for Speed Hot Pursuit, in simulations.

I know this may not be accurate, but I am only looking for something like say "you will see about 20% rise in FPS in about 80% games you play with this crossfire".

Thanks a lot.

Solution

The point is XFiring two slightly lower end cards can result in better performance than a single faster card. As long as the game takes advantage of XFire (or SLI for nVidia).

pinaklonkar

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2010
^ Understood. But just making sure I understand your reasoning. Are you saying that single 5850 (1gb) is 12% slower than single 5870 (2gb)? Maybe it is, maybe it is not.

But using two 5850 (1gb) in crossfire should beat a single 5870 (2gb), is what I should take as an answer, right?

See benchmarks in the following review:

Attack of the Clones: ATI Radeon HD 58xx in CrossFireX Configurations
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/radeon-hd5800-crossfirex.html

Here's an example:

04_crysis.png

The point is XFiring two slightly lower end cards can result in better performance than a single faster card. As long as the game takes advantage of XFire (or SLI for nVidia).

Solution

pinaklonkar

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2010
jaguarskx:

Excellent, but not very relevant to the discussion. My initial question was only to see if pairing a 2gb 5870 with 1gb 5850 was possible and of any benefit.

After I got a no-go for that question, my only question was to the person giving me suggestion to buy another 5850 to crossfire with my existing one (both 1gb) over using just a single 2GB 5870, for the reasoning behind that suggestion. That's it :)

I am well aware of cross fire performances when two identical cards are concerned. I hear your point that two lower end cards together can outperform a higher end card. But since memories here were different (2 x 1GB) vs (1 x 2GB), I wanted some clarification.

Thanks to you though for your responses. Learning something new everyday.

It is relevant since we are talking about performance gains when XFiring lower end card to a higher end card.

In one of your posts, you implied that you were not sure if there would be any benefits in XFiring two HD 5850 versus a single HD 5870 since you could not decide to:

So what is the better choice of the two

a) Sell current 5850 (1GB) and just use 5870 (2GB)
b) Buy another 5850 (1GB)

The fact that I am telling you two XFired HD 5770s can outperform a single HD 5850 should have led you to the logical conclusion that two XFired HD 5850s and outperform a single HD 5870.