Manually Control Radiator Fan on Sabertooth X79

Geek55

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012
Hi, recently I did a big system upgrade that included a Sabertooth X79 Motherboard, an i7 3820 and a Corsair H60 water cooler. As per Corsairs instructions I connected the radiator fan to the CPU Fan header on the motherboard, but the motherboard runs the fan at 2000 rpm even at idle which is just too loud, especially since I opted for water cooling for how quiet it is. I then figured I could connect the radiator fan to my fan controller and manually choose a speed that was cool and quiet, but when I did this the motherboard refused to post and showed a "Boot Device" LED, so I was forced to re-connect the fan to the CPU fan header.
My question is this, is there any way I can get my motherboard to post without having a CPU fan connected, if not, can I get the motherboard to slow down the fan in any way?

Geek55

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012

I tried both AI Suite and Speed Fan, neither worked, but I discovered the problem, the fan I used with my radiator is only 3 pin and I thought PWM worked on 3 pin fans but I read that it only works with 4 pin fans, so I'm gonna swap the fan with the 4 pin fan that came with the radiator