Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

What size should I use for file allocation size 300 gb disk

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
December 4, 2011 12:19:35 AM

I am in the process of formating a second 300 GB disk drive in windows 7 64 and don't know what file allocation size to use.
Can someone please give me some options.
bjb
a b $ Windows 7
December 4, 2011 12:24:09 AM

Windows needs up to 20GB.

x32=16GB
x64=20GB
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 4, 2011 12:32:01 AM

I would make 3 partitions -- that's how I would do it, if there is no SSD drive.

HDD - partition 1 70GB W7 + all the programs + page file -- If u game increase the size.

HDD - partition 2 @50GB - photos, project and other files up to 5MB + Document folder
HDD - partition 3 @170GB - music, videos and other files.

This is how do u move the Documents off of the system drive, so if C:\ gets corrupted, u don't loose the data : )
http://www.tweakhound.com/windows7/tweaking/5.html
m
0
l
Related resources
December 4, 2011 12:44:03 AM

blackdogmolly said:
I am in the process of formating a second 300 GB disk drive in windows 7 64 and don't know what file allocation size to use.
Can someone please give me some options.
bjb


When I attemp to format the non system hard drive I am given 4096 bytes. I don't know what the defualt is or if I should use 512, 1024, 2048 bytes etc. I not talking about partitons.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 4, 2011 12:45:21 AM

blackdogmolly said:
When I attemp to format the non system hard drive I am given 4096 bytes. I don't know what the defualt is or if I should use 512, 1024, 2048 bytes etc. I not talking about partitons.

Just format through W7 install disc.
m
0
l
December 4, 2011 12:51:30 AM

nikorr said:
I would make 3 partitions -- that's how I would do it, if there is no SSD drive.

HDD - partition 1 70GB W7 + all the programs + page file -- If u game increase the size.

HDD - partition 2 @50GB - photos, project and other files up to 5MB + Document folder
HDD - partition 3 @170GB - music, videos and other files.

This is how do u move the Documents off of the system drive, so if C:\ gets corrupted, u don't loose the data : )
http://www.tweakhound.com/windows7/tweaking/5.html


I am talking about allocation unit size.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 4, 2011 12:56:47 AM

OK 4096KB (recommended for normal usage)
m
0
l
December 4, 2011 12:58:09 AM

nikorr said:
Just format through W7 install disc.

I am talking about allocation unit size. My files tend to be small to medium in size.
m
0
l
December 4, 2011 1:01:46 AM

nikorr said:
OK 4096KB (recommended for normal usage)


Thank you.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 4, 2011 1:06:59 AM

blackdogmolly said:
Thank you.

You're Welcome : )

The default cluster size on NTFS volumes is 4K, which is fine if your files are typically small and generally remain the same size.

But if your files are generally much larger or tend to grow over time as applications modify them, try increasing the cluster size on your drives to 16K or even 32K to compensate.

That will reduce the amount of space you are wasting on your drives and will allow files to open slightly faster.
m
0
l
December 6, 2011 2:27:02 PM

nikorr said:
You're Welcome : )

The default cluster size on NTFS volumes is 4K, which is fine if your files are typically small and generally remain the same size.

But if your files are generally much larger or tend to grow over time as applications modify them, try increasing the cluster size on your drives to 16K or even 32K to compensate.

That will reduce the amount of space you are wasting on your drives and will allow files to open slightly faster.
If I under stan it, If I had a file that is say 48k then I would use 3 16k bytes or 2 32k bytes on the disis is this correct?
m
0
l
December 15, 2011 11:18:38 AM

:bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce: 
nikorr said:
You're Welcome : )

The default cluster size on NTFS volumes is 4K, which is fine if your files are typically small and generally remain the same size.

But if your files are generally much larger or tend to grow over time as applications modify them, try increasing the cluster size on your drives to 16K or even 32K to compensate.

That will reduce the amount of space you are wasting on your drives and will allow files to open slightly faster.

m
0
l
December 15, 2011 11:22:09 AM

This is the best answer. I do I end this thread :hello:  :hello: 
m
0
l
!