Ram and GPU issue?

Tags:
  • Prebuilt
  • GPUs
  • RAM
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
May 1, 2011 12:14:14 PM

Well I managed to get my first build up and running and now trying to troubleshoot a friends issue. BTW - Thanks to those that helped me out:}}

She has 1 GB of memory using Win XP and it's hurting:{ I tried installing my old RAM (same pin and type, different brand) which is a BIG upgrade to 4 GB, but the PC didn't like the switch. I gave her and installed my old dual DVI GPU and it boots up fine with her old 1 GB, but DOES NOT like 4GB installed.

I've tried different slots and even reduced the RAM eliminate possibilities - it only boots with 1GB. This Patriot RAM and GPU was working fine in my old system. She's on a 32 XP system.

I would recommend new memory, but I'm afraid of the system not posting. Advice or recommendations to troubleshoot is appreciated.

More about : ram gpu issue

Anonymous
May 4, 2011 9:35:30 PM

Ensure the ram is compatible with her Motherboard if not try 1.5 GB ram and see how much it can take also Google her computer and see how much ram it can take.
May 5, 2011 3:10:51 AM

Did you try running MemTest86+ to see if there is a problem with the RAM? I have had a PC fail to POST before because one of the sticks of RAM was bad. You could try testing them individually in each slot of the motherboard to see if one stick or one slot is bad.
Related resources
May 5, 2011 4:11:19 AM

I did not run the MemTest86+ - Is that hardware or software RAM analysis? However, I did try each stick to ensure there was none faulty, all of them worked in my old PC. Each of these good sticks did not POST her PC.

@Jackual93 - I will try your advice the next I go to her house. By the looks of it, her MOBO is old and salty :sleep:  Hopefully her I can gather enough information from her whatever is sketched on the MOBO itself. I'll Google there after. Not knowing any better, I would assume, at a minimum, that she's capable of running at least 2GB of RAM. After all, the MOBO has four RAM slots. Then again, I'm still learning...

When I find out the MOBO specs, I'll be back to post an update on how things went.

Also, not sure what happened, but after I reconnected her PC, sounds would not play. I did her enough static each time I pulled out the 3.5mm jack from the I/O ports, but nothing else. Speakers were on high but no music:{
May 9, 2011 4:42:35 AM

FirstTimeBuilder2011 said:
I did not run the MemTest86+ - Is that hardware or software RAM analysis? However, I did try each stick to ensure there was none faulty, all of them worked in my old PC. Each of these good sticks did not POST her PC.

@Jackual93 - I will try your advice the next I go to her house. By the looks of it, her MOBO is old and salty :sleep:  Hopefully her I can gather enough information from her whatever is sketched on the MOBO itself. I'll Google there after. Not knowing any better, I would assume, at a minimum, that she's capable of running at least 2GB of RAM. After all, the MOBO has four RAM slots. Then again, I'm still learning...

When I find out the MOBO specs, I'll be back to post an update on how things went.

Also, not sure what happened, but after I reconnected her PC, sounds would not play. I did her enough static each time I pulled out the 3.5mm jack from the I/O ports, but nothing else. Speakers were on high but no music:{

MemTest86+ is bootable software (free) that you can put on a CD to test your RAM. I have found several bad sticks of RAM this way that prevented my computer from POSTing. But the PC must be able to boot in order to test the RAM. Even RAM that may seem to be working may display errors when running MemTest86+.
!