Sign in with
Your question

Would Like to Upgrade MB

Last response: in Motherboards
April 13, 2012 3:26:53 PM

Good Morning All,
ok,
Found this board, seems inexpensive, how does it compare to what I have now.
DH61BEB3 LGA 1155 H61 mATX Intel Motherboard

Intel P965 (Broadwater-P) + ICH8DH
DELL 0CT017 MB
Dell xps 410

More about : upgrade

a c 435 V Motherboard
a b å Intel
April 13, 2012 5:01:11 PM

You'll need new ram and a cpu to go with the board. Ivy bridge is Intel's latest, due out in about 11 days. I would wait for pricing. Microcenter has some 2600K's closeout for $200 if you live near one of their stores. The h55 boards don't allow overclocking; you'll need a z68 or p67 chipset board for that. Your dell board may be btx format (the ports on the wrong side) so you may need a new case for any board. Btx is a dead format.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
April 13, 2012 5:07:48 PM

That is a BTX case and an ATX motherboard will not fit properly in it.

If you want to upgrade then consider a BTX mobo (not a good option): http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

Otherwise you need a new case, mobo, CPU, and Ram to do any kind of notable upgrade.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
April 13, 2012 5:15:02 PM

BTX was a great idea as it put all (or at least most) of the high power items in line with each other for more effective cooling (one case fan instead of a case fan, CPU fan, and north bridge fan). It also allowed for more interesting case designs and a slightly shorter form factor than ATX. However, with the advent of the Core2Duo which did not have the heat issues that the later generation Pentium 4s had, this extra cooling was no longer an issue and manufacturers stuck with the more traditional ATX form factor which allowed them to not have to retool their factories, and also has some placement benefits over BTX for bus lengths between parts (supposedly better performance, but mostly less copper used). So BTX has almost entirely died out, with the exception of Dell who I believe still uses it to this day (though I could be wrong as I have not seen a current gen Dell). Everyone else is back on ATX (or in the case of HP a slightly modified ATX just cause they are annoying that way).
m
l
April 13, 2012 6:12:44 PM

Ok, We'll case isnt an issue, for me I am designing a custom case, going to manufacture it myself.
So I just need help with finding an inexpensive board.
All I do with it is play Minecraft and COD UO, email, internet surfing.
thats pretty much it.
Im just looking to put the following together.
eventually, for low budget first build.

Cooling, This thing does have a huge cooling unit for the cpu, havent even figured out how to remove it yet so I can reuse it ?

Let me try to be more specific, I am looking to go to upgrade to a better MB, theres no point in replacing the LGA 775 with another one.
From what I see now there is LGA 1155, 1366, 2011

I read an article about Ivy Bridge, so thanks for that, I can wait 11 days np.

MB
Ram
CPU
PSU
SSD
GPU

lol, I think thats it.

I have a Newer Seagate HD, same as original that came with the Dell xps, running WIN 7 Pro 64bit ,
the old one has Linux Oneric Ocelot 11.10

DVD is still good so I dont need one of those.

Thank You
VIPChristian
m
l
!