Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Do I need a wireless router or wireless adapter to connect my network?

Tags:
  • Wireless Router
  • Routers
  • Connection
  • Computers
  • Wireless Adapter
  • Wireless Networking
  • Product
Last response: in Wireless Networking
November 13, 2010 3:01:56 AM

Hello, I am moving my computer upstairs in my home and I do not want to have wires going threw out my house to connect my router to my computer upstairs, I heard about wireless router and wireless adapters, im not sure which to get to connect my computer that will be upstairs to my home network. I was also told i do not need another router to connect with my router downstairs is that true and i only need an adapter? I really need help im not to sure which i need to connect to my home network. Also if i get an adapter does it have to be compatible with my computer specs (like motherboard, PCI express, whatnot?) Thank you for reading and helping :??: 

More about : wireless router wireless adapter connect network

November 13, 2010 4:52:03 AM

It depends on whether or not you router has wireless capability and whether or not you computer has an internal wireless card (equipped on most modern laptop systems). If your router does not have wireless capability you need a wireless access point to connect to it; and if your computer does not have an on-board wireless adapter, then you will need one of those as well.

Wireless adapters come in various forms. They can be PCI (plug into your motherboard), or USB (self-explanatory), or they can connect to your computers ethernet port.

Honestly it would probably be more cost effective to just purchase a wireless router if your router isn't already wireless capable. An example is Linksys' WRT54G.
Score
November 14, 2010 5:07:49 AM

What router are you currently using?

Do you have a desktop or laptop?
Score
Related resources
November 14, 2010 5:26:37 AM

I have desktop and my router is a 2 wire gateway 2700HG-E
Score
!