Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Is my Q6600 bottlenecking my system (i.e. is it worth upgrading?)

Last response: in CPUs
July 29, 2011 5:38:51 PM

Hello all:

Someone suggested that my CPU (Q6600) was bottlenecking my system and that upgrading would give my computer a boost (I primarily use it for gaming and CAD)

System: Q6600, 650il chipset, 4GB DDR2 800, ATI/AMD 5850.

I assumed that the CPU was 'good enough' not to affect games or adversely affect the performance of the GPU; obviously, a complete upgrade would be best, but the arrival of a baby has put a lot of my lofty upgrade plans on the back burner, so if it's worth it, I could pick up another LGA775 CPU, possibly even a faster-clocked dual core, if it would 'balance out' my system performance.

Thanks!

Best solution

a b à CPUs
July 29, 2011 5:44:53 PM

It's not bottle necking for the cad work, but it is holding the gpu back a little. Try overclocking it to around 3.0 to 3.2ghz, that should be a pretty good match for the two. you'll also notice a boost in cad work with the clocks being higher.
July 29, 2011 5:59:26 PM

Cygnus x-1 said:
It's not bottle necking for the cad work, but it is holding the gpu back a little. Try overclocking it to around 3.0 to 3.2ghz, that should be a pretty good match for the two. you'll also notice a boost in cad work with the clocks being higher.

I have no experience overclocking, but I might as well try; would picking up a higher-clocked dual-core, like an E8400, have the same effect? I had originally picked up the Q6600 because I was doing a lot of freelance rendering work, but that's no longer the case.
Score
Related resources
a b à CPUs
July 29, 2011 6:05:21 PM

It's not worth putting any money into an LGA 775 system + E8400's don't exactly come cheap anymore ($170ish last check) and an intel i5-2400 is at the same price and completely destroys it.

If i were you, i'd get a better cooler to overclock that as bipedal said. It's the cheapest and most effective option for you till you can afford a new build.
Score
a b à CPUs
July 29, 2011 6:16:49 PM

No for cad your better off with the quad, same thing with games. Even a small tweak to say 2.8 will help a decent amount. The 680 chipset isn't the greatest for overclocking but you should be able to get around 3.0ghz fairly easily with just about stock voltage or stock voltage.
Score
July 29, 2011 6:25:05 PM

Best answer selected by Disgruntled Architec.
Score
a b à CPUs
July 29, 2011 6:28:16 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!