Is this Computer GOOD ?

morris22

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
Hey all!Is this computer GOOD? AMD PHENOM II 550 3.1GHZ AM3 BLACK EDITION · ARCTIC COOLING FREEZER 7 PRO REV2 PWM · ASUS M4N78 ATX · 4GB DDR2 800Mhz (2x2GB) · 1000GB SATA2 7200RPM · ATI RADEON 4870 512Mb GDDR5 PCI-E Plzz answers :) :)

Actually it's a good rig if you want to overclock the cpu and run some decent games at a medium resolution.

I suggest a triple or the cheapy quad for $99 if you want to get a bit more grunt out of it as an all rounder ... but your basics are good.

Look for a good case - front and rear 120mm fans to push the air through the beast.

C00lIT

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
It is pretty good hardware but I can't tell you if it's good as I do not know how much it you bought it or considering getting it for.

Like Reynod I would recommend a Quad AthlonX4 2.8Ghz but the PhenomX2 is a fine dual core.

If you got it used, it is a fair machine but considering the aftermarket cpu fan, it is a potentially overclocked in the past.

morris22

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
Well,i haven't build the computer self,it's from a store.The price of the computer is 629 € (567.36 pounds) (938.59 dollars)
So i was wondering to buy this computer from a store.And i think this computer is great :) but im bad at computers so it's because of that i ask you guys.
And well i'm going to play much games.So does GTA IV,COD 4,5,MW 2 run on this computer easily?with like normal graphics?

Not a good deal.

The mobo has an nVidia chipset with a single PCIe x16 slot --- no possibility of a future CrossFire. On top of that: DDR2

And even worse: You cannot unlock the Phenom 550BE with an nVidia chipset.

Pass on that deal --- or make them rebuild it with an AMD chipset --- preferably AM3 with a second PCIe x16 slot that will allow a minimum 'x8x8' CrossFire of the HD4870 --- and at least give you a shot at the AMD Lottery.

(And I'm also thinking they tried to unlock the 550BE and failed - which is why they put it in the nVidia mobo in the first place .... but I'm a paranoid Yank who believes in big conspiracies LOL)

daviduk109

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2008
my thoughts are:

graphics card should be ok and can be upgraded quite easily in the future if needed.

cpu is dual core, not quad core. modern games these days tend to be designed to run better on quad core processors. However the cpu is a fast dual core at least, so if you had no other option it should be ok. You may have the option to overclock the processor if you needed to, but that is not guaranteed.

cygone

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
I was looking to build a real budget PC for a collegue only this week. Inc a 19" WS monitor, KB / Mouse / Speakers I had it at £496 inc VAT. (UK)

This included Case & PSU @ 500w.

You can do better buying the components and building yourself. (NEW!).

Or even look at the Toms Sys Build Marathon @ $650 for good insight.

morris22

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
wisecracker,i think you have missunderstanded this thing.You are talking about Nvidia chipset??what the hell?you might be have see on wrong computer.... =/

Do u guys mean that the grapichscard is goood and the prosessor not so good?

I disagree with your first 2 lines,the OP may not need SLI/CF so having only one PCI-E 16x slot depends on the OP,also DDR2 isn't bad either they are cheap now and the difference between DDR2 an DDR3 isn't much(not noticeable in games and most apps)

The Asus M4N78 ATX has a Geforce 8300 chipset. The Asus motherboard is roughly equivalent to the AMD 780g with sb700 and has no ACC or use of AOD

The OP has given prices in Euros, Pounds and US dollars so I don't know how to propose an alternative. I will offer this for consideration from ScanUK:

Phenom 550BE
Biostar TA790GX 128, AMD 790GX
Sapphire HD 4870 1Gb
4 Gb (2Gbx2) DDR2 800
1Tb hard drive
DVD optical

Around £400 Inc VAT

Mid-tower cases with power supplies look to be on average £40 Inc VAT. Really fancy cases start in the high £40s. The Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro v2 is £17.70 w/VAT.

Microsoft OSs range from £65 to £78 (inc VAT) for the new Win7.

Looks to me like the OP could order the parts, pay someone £60 to £80 for the build, and end up with a better system.

btw - the Biostar TA790GX was essentially the first motherboard in the unlocking 'Phenom-ena'. It's certainly no guarantee of success in the AMD Chip Lottery but it's nice to have the potential option.

daviduk109

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2008
graphics card is ok, may need to be upgraded in time but that is the same for all graphics cards.

However the processor is a dual core processor and not a quad core (meaning that the processor only has 2 cores and not 4 cores). You say one of the games you want to play is GTA IV. Look at these processor benchmark scores:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/charts/2009-desktop-cpu-charts/GTA-IV-1.0.3,1402.html

a processor very similar to yours (AMD Phenom II X2 550) is the second worse performing processor at GTA IV with 41 frames per second (near the bottom of the chart). Compare that to my processor, which is a quad core Q6600, a 3 year old processor running at just 2.4 ghz. In that chart, the Q6600 scores 49.30 frames per second. I suspect the reason for this is because the game GTA IV does better with quad core processors. You can see more processor benchmark scores here:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/charts/2009-desktop-cpu-charts/benchmarks,60.html

In other benchmarks, the AMD Phenom II X2 550 is not the worse performing processor, I just used the benchmark for GTA IV as an example because that is a game you said you wanted to play. I suspect the same principle can be applied to MW2.

You might like to use the processor benchmark charts to compare other types of processor if you want to keep looking for a computer (add the processor benchmark charts to your 'favourites' list in your browser). On the other hand, you may have had enough of looking around by now and I wouldn't blame you for that either.

morris22

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
Okey,thanks...But my friend has like 2-3years old computer,and he can run GTA IV with normal graphics without lagging!And i don't think his computer is better that this one.

morris22

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
Yea :D I want to say special thanks to following persons :daviduk109 ,Maziar,C00LIT and reynod .Thank you so much :) :)
And remember you can allways post here if you got more info of this computer and it components. :)

C00lIT

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009

Not sure where you are from but this seems pretty expensive to me.

editted, didnt read the posted computer properly.

Not as overpriced as I thought but could be a little better.

thecoolermaster

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
the 550BE isn't a bad cpu at all, you just need the right motherboard to unlock the extra two cores (if you're lucky). But this is WAY overpriced. I was looking into making a build with similar parts (550BE, 4890 Vapor-X 1GB, OCZ Obsidian DDR3 4GB, Gigabyte GA-MA770T, OCZ ModXStream 700w, Coolermaster HAF 922 case, and CoolerMaster V8 cpu cooler) and that was around $630 USD (I don't know pounds or euros prices).

I would HIGHLY suggest building your own computer and just paying someone to put it all together for you. That would save you TONS of money and get you way more bang for the buck.

Look at a lot of reviews for parts you want, 3DGameman on youtube, TigerDirectBlog on youtube, PCWizKid on youtube, and overclockersclub.com

P.S. A 4870 would be able to run all those games on high, if not max (maybe excluding MW2, I know a GTX285 gets around 110-120fps in mw2 fully maxed)

Edit: Here's a benchmark for MW2 with all the latest graphics cards - http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,699312/Modern-Warfare-2-Graphics-card-benchmarks-of-the-latest-Call-of-Duty/Practice/

A 4870 512MB should get around 75 fps at max settings (4xAA and 16xAF) at 1280x1024 resolution

thecoolermaster

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009

Yes, that store where you saw this computer would be ripping you off if you were to purchase it from there. Look up all of the parts in that computer on newegg.com or tigerdirect.com and see how they are priced (or whatever computer store you have where you live). I GUARANTEE they will be cheaper if you build the computer yourself.