Sign in with
Your question

Help About Flickering Graphics

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 24, 2011 6:44:33 PM

Hello all,

Whenever I play Warcraft III TFT (DotA) the graphics are flickering. Sometimes, some graphics goes black as well for about a second then it will return to it's original form/color. It also caused BSOD on my system once. Haven't experienced it again but I'm kinda worried that it will happen again. I posted before and I was told to update my driver which I did to 11.1, 11.1a and now 11.2, same problem happens.

Specs:
CPU: Athlon II X4 635
MONITOR: AOC 2236VW LED (1920x1080 widescreen)
RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 4gb (2X2) DDR3-1600
VIDEO CARD: Sapphire HD6850
DRIVER: Catalyst 11.2

This does not happen to any other games I play like ME2, Left4dead2 and Heroes of Newerth. I did also try to remove my video card and played using the IGP of my motherboard (HD4250) and it worked fine.

What I've come up with when testing my card and the IGP...
When playing GPU intensive games + HD6850, no problem.
When playing Warcraft III + IGP HD4250, no problem.
When playing Warcraft + HD6850, graphics flickers even if try to modifying my Catalyst settings (vertical refresh, enable openGL, etc)

It's hard to determine what's causing the problem. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

More about : flickering graphics

a c 1411 U Graphics card
February 24, 2011 9:46:10 PM

Have you tried enabling/disabling Vsync?
m
l
a c 82 U Graphics card
February 24, 2011 10:38:58 PM

it possible u got flickering if ur fps in the game go over ur monitors refresh rate, if ur monitors refresh rate is 60 and u get over 60 frames per second ull see tearing in ur game, thats why vsync is useful to cap fps at 60, and helps removes screen flickering and tearing, cheers
m
l
Related resources
a c 214 U Graphics card
February 24, 2011 10:53:08 PM

Hmm.Well since you've singled out the variables already i would say it's driver related between WC and your 6850.
What brand is your 6850?
m
l
February 25, 2011 4:09:06 AM

rolli59 said:
Have you tried enabling/disabling Vsync?

Yes I did, there we're 4 options for Vsync I believe. Always off, always on, off unless specified and on unless specied. None of them worked.

iceclock said:
it possible u got flickering if ur fps in the game go over ur monitors refresh rate, if ur monitors refresh rate is 60 and u get over 60 frames per second ull see tearing in ur game, thats why vsync is useful to cap fps at 60, and helps removes screen flickering and tearing, cheers

So I must always enable Vsync?

purple stank said:
Hmm.Well since you've singled out the variables already i would say it's driver related between WC and your 6850.
What brand is your 6850?

Sounds about right. I'm just worried that it could be a hardware problem. Hope not. It's a Sapphire HD6850.

purple stank said:
Here's another thread that might help.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/305511-33-flickering-...

Seems flickering is a common occurance with all games and it isn't just with WC.Try some of the ideas the best answer said.I would agree try turning off/disabling Catalyist A.I.

I'll try them later, thanks for that. Any idea about the BSOD?
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
February 25, 2011 3:48:55 PM

Might be possible WC crashed the card.If the game code is so horrible between them i'm sure the GPU just gave up and crashed.
m
l
February 26, 2011 7:30:58 AM

This might sound stupid but, when disabling Catalyst do I have to remove it? I can't see a disable option in it.
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
February 26, 2011 8:30:31 PM

It comes with the drivers,so it's kind of like a permenate thing.It's not really meant to be disabled.Try unistalling CCC.But make sure you don't uninstall the drivers.
m
l
February 27, 2011 1:36:04 PM

If I uninstall CCC, is there a way to re-install it incase I decided to have it again? Can it be downloaded in ATI website?
m
l
a c 1411 U Graphics card
February 27, 2011 1:42:44 PM

Yes you can download the CCC from AMD/ATI website or just the drivers if you choose so.
m
l
!