First build PROBLEMS!! PLEASE HELP!

I have just build a new pc, i get blue srceens twice a day i have the latest bios i uninstalled and reinstalled all my drivers and i have 16 gig of ram and its only saying that 7.95 is usable, and if i two two out it says only 3.95 is usable, have 2 grand tied up into a pc that will barely run i NEED HELP, and now i have a twitching screen!! this is what i have:

CPU: AMD FX-8120 (eight core) @3.1ghz

RAM: 4* G.Skill 4 GB DDR3-1600

HDD: 1.0TB Western Digital @7200

GPU: 1GB AMD Radeon™ HD 7770

MOB: SABERTOOTH 990FX

Graphics: AMD 990FX(AM3+)

PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W

Case: NZXT Phantom 410 ATX

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
14 answers Last reply
More about first build problems help
  1. Being that your system is already having ram issues I would start there.
    Shut down the pc.
    Take all but 1 ram stick out.
    Power on confirm the ram amount is correct.
    In windows 7 schedule a memory test.
    Reboot
    The computer will test that stick of ram. The test will take awhile.
    If it passes stick the second stick on and repeat. With all 4.
    The point is test each stick alone.

If all 4 pass alone then test again in pairs.

If it fails check you got the ram settings correct in the bios, if they are correct try different ram.
  2. i checked the ram when i first build the pc, it was all good, how would i go about checking to see if everything in the bios is right! thanks!
  3. The board should auto detect the best settings for the ram. All boards are differnent so you might need to check your manual. In short when the computer is booting hit the del key to get to the bios. There is usally a menu for memory clocks. In there confirm that the bios settings match the specs in the maual that came with the ram.

The fact that the board only sees half the ram leads me to belive there is some type of incompatibility.
  4. so would it be wise to go ahead and get another set of ram and try it?
  5. Is your memory listed on the QVL for your motherboard? http://support.asus.com/QVL.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=1&s=24&m=SABERTOOTH%20990FX&os=&hashedid=H9GanpgqHG8yN8yQ I don't see any G.Skill memory tested in a 16 GB configuration.
  6. im just reading that write now
  7. just ordered ( Corsair CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9 Vengeance 16GB 4X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Dual Channel Memory Kit ) let yous know the results when i get them! Thanks for all the help!
  8. Motherboards DO NOT automatically detect the best settings for RAM. They are only able to select profiles within the standard. i.e. the standard for DDR3 is DDR3-1600 CL11, and DDR3-1333 CL9. So if you have these specification memory or lower, the motherboard can detect the proper settings. If you have better memory, you must enable DOCP (AMD) or XMP (Intel), so the motherboard can recognize performance memory installed. This can work for basic kits, but for many high performance kits such as DDR3-1866+, manual settings are required. Commonly, CPU and other tweaks beyond basic DRAM settings are necessary for a stable system. Should you need help or guidance with this, the memory manufacturer or forums can be full of information.

Your specific problem is incorrect capacity, so it should not be settings related. You should test each module individually to determine whether they detect 4GB each. If they do, they should detect 8GB with two, or 16GB with four modules. Always double check installation as that is a frequent overlook. If you continue to have issues, send them in for RMA to see if a new kit works better.

The memory is surely compatible with that motherboard and CPU, so you should have no issues.

Thank you
    GSKILL SUPPORT
  9. Ok If i was to switch over to D.O.C.P mode what should a change and what should i not touch any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!
  10. gskill support said:
    Motherboards DO NOT automatically detect the best settings for RAM. They are only able to select profiles within the standard. i.e. the standard for DDR3 is DDR3-1600 CL11, and DDR3-1333 CL9. So if you have these specification memory or lower, the motherboard can detect the proper settings. If you have better memory, you must enable DOCP (AMD) or XMP (Intel), so the motherboard can recognize performance memory installed. This can work for basic kits, but for many high performance kits such as DDR3-1866+, manual settings are required. Commonly, CPU and other tweaks beyond basic DRAM settings are necessary for a stable system. Should you need help or guidance with this, the memory manufacturer or forums can be full of information.

Your specific problem is incorrect capacity, so it should not be settings related. You should test each module individually to determine whether they detect 4GB each. If they do, they should detect 8GB with two, or 16GB with four modules. Always double check installation as that is a frequent overlook. If you continue to have issues, send them in for RMA to see if a new kit works better.

The memory is surely compatible with that motherboard and CPU, so you should have no issues.

Thank you
    GSKILL SUPPORT

Ok; I have GSkill Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL, and i'm trying to get to work in "Biostar A75MH broad" when i try to boot the broad gives me "1 one" Beep which say's the ram will not work, but biostar's support say's it will and the ram is falty, but when i put the same ram into an ASUS broad it work's fine, "Will this Ram work in this broad "Biostar A75MH" it is a "new retail broad"
  11. Ok i got my new ram in today and i put it is and now these ram are saying that 16gb of ram(15gb Usable) why would that be now?
  12. bryanmorris,

Did you have two 8GB kits of G.Skill?

For 4 modules of DDR3-1600 with your hardware, you just need to set DRAM frequency, timings, voltage, and raise CPU-NB Voltage +0.1V.

Your system should be stable once you input those.

DOCP will set DRAM settings, but you need to raise CPU-NB Voltage since you have 4 modules installed. Note, AMD supports one DIMM per channel, so you have to raise that voltage to force the memory controller to support two DIMM per channel.

Since you're having issues with the Corsair RAM as well, you may want to try the above, or look for any memory hole remapping options in BIOS. That option should be enabled, other than that, I don't see why it would show 15GB instead of 16GB.

ghforlife,

Do you have the latest BIOS for the motherboard? Test one module at a time to see if one can boot. It is very unlikely that both modules are completely faulty.

If resetting the BIOS, and testing one module at a time still does not boot, I would have to assume it is a bad motherboard or CPU. You can try other memory, CPU, or motherboard to confirm, but it would already be quite obvious since you have two modules, AND they work in the ASUS motherboard.

Thank you
    GSKILL SUPPORT
  13. gskill support said:
    bryanmorris,

Did you have two 8GB kits of G.Skill?

For 4 modules of DDR3-1600 with your hardware, you just need to set DRAM frequency, timings, voltage, and raise CPU-NB Voltage +0.1V.

Your system should be stable once you input those.

DOCP will set DRAM settings, but you need to raise CPU-NB Voltage since you have 4 modules installed. Note, AMD supports one DIMM per channel, so you have to raise that voltage to force the memory controller to support two DIMM per channel.

Since you're having issues with the Corsair RAM as well, you may want to try the above, or look for any memory hole remapping options in BIOS. That option should be enabled, other than that, I don't see why it would show 15GB instead of 16GB.

ghforlife,

Do you have the latest BIOS for the motherboard? Test one module at a time to see if one can boot. It is very unlikely that both modules are completely faulty.

If resetting the BIOS, and testing one module at a time still does not boot, I would have to assume it is a bad motherboard or CPU. You can try other memory, CPU, or motherboard to confirm, but it would already be quite obvious since you have two modules, AND they work in the ASUS motherboard.

Thank you
    GSKILL SUPPORT

I can not get into the broad, and yes it was obvious that the ram worked, this is a new broad and i just needed comp on it befor i threw it into the "Trash"..

Thanks GSkill,
    ghforlife
  14. since it's working try memtest, on all your rams, that should help. also try setting the specs your own that should help also
Ask a new question

Read More

G.SKILL Build Memory