Old HDD in new rig

bsteck

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
The parts for my new computer are arriving tomorrow! Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions on my build.

One last question (hopefully).

I want to use the HDD from my old PC as a secondary in my new rig. However, my old computer died (I believe a power supply issue) before I could back up all my files on an external hard drive (I know, shame on me for dragging my heels on good backups). So I have an old HDD with Windows XP installed on it that I need to retrieve files from.

My thought was to set up my new rig, get everything working and stable on it. Then install the old HDD as a secondary and ensure in the BIOS that the computer never looks to boot from the second drive.

I'd then back up any files I need from it, then reformat the old drive and everything should be OK.

Will this work? Is there any risk of screwing up the new rig by installing that second hard drive with Windows XP installed even if it doesn't look to boot from it? Any suggestions on how else to retrieve files from my old HDD?

Solution
Shouldn't be a problem. If the BIOS in your system does detect a second bootable partition, it should, at the very least, ask you which one to use.

-Wolf sends
My thought was to set up my new rig, get everything working and stable on it. Then install the old HDD as a secondary and ensure in the BIOS that the computer never looks to boot from the second drive.

1. Build ya new rig with both the new (1st SATA Port) and old HD (2nd SATA port) on it.

2. Disconnect the 2nd HD data cable.

3. Do all your OS install, activation, upgrade stuff.

4. Turn off ya machine and reconnect data cable.

5. Transfer, or not, as you see fit.

This is far easier if you plan in advance....a good partitioning scheme makes this cake. If the old HD was partitioned into:

C:\OS
D:\Games
E:\Programs
F:\Data

then the 2nd drive can be used immediately as a 2nd drive or individual partitions copied over wholesale. Many games and some programs won't even have to be re-installed...the rest you'll need to do that for to establish registry entries. Finally a backup install to (disconnect 1st drive's data cable) the old C:\ gives you a backup boot in case the original install gets fudged.