CPU/motherboard compatibility

G

I'm considering buying an Asus CM5570-AP003 PC. It comes with an Intel E5300 processor, and I'm wondering if the motherboard it comes with will then necessarily be able to handle an Intel Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quad processor if I needed to upgrade later. Will any motherboard that accommodates an E5300 processor necessarily have an LGA 775/T socket and therefore also be able to handle the Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Quad processors? I could find nothing about this model on the Asus site, and I've yet to hear from Asus CS. It appears that this particular model of PC is being sold only at Best Buy: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_dynSessConf=-8868926411332891973&id=pcat17071&type=page&st=asus+cm5570&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=15&sp=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960

Many thanks

If you want a quad core cpu, I would get one now. I saw an hp system for $599 recently with an Intel quad core 8200 cpu. Many have amd cpus, but they perform almost as well as Intel. Asus oem systems are just as difficult to upgrade as some dells; It's easier to spend the money now than upgrade later. Alot of systems are being closed out right now with windows 7. I would go for one with ddr3 since ddr2 is on the way out. In addition to best buy, I use slickdeals.net and fatwallet to check for specials.

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Yes, you get the LGA775 socket. The motherboard with GMA4500 graphics should be able to handle cpus with faster FSB (beyond 800). The key word is "should". Bios updates and the memory speed your system comes with may be issues. This is a problem with most prebuilt systems, especially since their bios versions often don't allow much if any tweaking. If you were buying components and assembling the system yourself, we could be more help.

G

Thank you both. Both responses are very helpful. I'm even considering building a PC. The Asus combo I decided to buy was sold out, so I got a rain check on the CM5570-AP003 with an Asus 23" monitor for $550. Hard price to beat for all it comes with, but the rain check gives me a few more weeks to decide. Thanks again.

G

Almost all Asus OEM systems like the CM5570s use standard micro-atx mainboards. They don't require weird motherboards nor do they require bizarre power supplies like some Dells and HPs. They also use standard memory and CPUs. This CPU is a core duo. The board is completely standard. It is a repairable and upgradeable machine. It also supports Quad Core CPUs and is a socket LGA 775 motherboard series. I recently upgraded one to a quad core 9550 CPU.

TRENDING THREADS